Ford Mondeo Mk4 - Clutch Slip? - sagechris

I have an 18 month old Zetec TDCi with 11,700 miles on the clock. When I accelerate heavily, particularly up an incline, at around 2,500 rpm, the engine speeds up by a few hundred rpm and then reverts to a speed comensurate with vehicle speed. There is no evidence of clutch slip when pulling away, even on a hill start.

Also, in cruise control, when RES is used to return to the selected speed after braking, the engine begins to accelerate and then the the cruise control cuts out back into standby mode, as if the clutch had been depressed. As I have a driving style that is light on the clutch and never in 40 years have I had a clutch problem I am surprised and perturbed. Would like advice before main dealer charges me a shed load for a 'non warranty' repair.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - Clutch Slip? - Collos25

With the handbrake fully on try set of in third gear if the revs rise and the car stops still a sign of a faulty clutch if on the other hand car engine stalls clutch is ok.

Many thanks for the tip. Have tried this. There is no slip. Took it to Ford dealer. 'Mechanic' test dreove it, reproduced the fault and proclaimed "wear and tear on the clutch"! He was sure it was not DMF as there was no noise on engaging clutch. Booked it in for strip down and repair. If faulty component, it will be fixed under warranty, otherwise I have to cough up! Still not explained why the cruise control cuts out as this must be because there is pressure in the hydraulics that actuate a switch that puts the cruise control into standby.

[My local friendly garage, said immediatly when I explained the symptoms: DMF is faulty and pushing the clutch appart as it distorts, creating back pressure in the hydraulics]

Chris

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - Clutch Slip? - Collos25

Hope it goes ok for you.

Cluch plate turned out to be faulty. There was play of a couple of millimetres between the centre section that engages with the splines anfd the cluch plates. There was very little wear on the clutch pads, despite the mechanics proclomation! I still have not had an explation as to how this produceds the symptoms and there was no one at the main dealers who could engage in a technical discussion. It seems to me: we ahve found a faulty component end of story. No one seems to want to use there brains and think more deeply. A caravan outing will give a real test shortly.

Hope this helps someone else.

Ford Mondeo Mk4 - Clutch Slip? - ddr

It seems to me: we ahve found a faulty component end of story. No one seems to want to use there brains and think more deeply. A caravan outing will give a real test shortly.

Sad but true. However not entirely surprising given that few people would be prepared to pay for the time of a proper engineer to fix their car, and 'proper engineers' these days probably prefer jobs where they don't have to deal with customers and get dirty.

As to why cruise disengaged, well cruise control disengages with any touch of the clutch so presumably the fault was triggering whatever senses that.