Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - Drivethru

I have an eleven year old micra which has been great but I am thinking about replacing it . I would like another nissan but i am not that keen on the micra shape now and I don't want a pixo. The car shape i really like is the ford ka but having previously owned two fiestas, I think nissan is far superior, especially the body work, mine is just showing signs of corrosion now where the fiestas were corroded after five years.

i would appreciate any comments and opinions.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - P3t3r

I agree with you on the new Micra. The previous one had character, the current one just looks a little dull. It wouldn't stop be buying one if I liked the car, but I prefered the previous one.

The KA is made by FIAT, it's the same as the 500. Being a modern Fiat, it's very unlikely to rust. The previous Ford KA liked to rust, but the current one is a Fiat. Modern Fiats have all had very good rust proofing.

Look at other brands too. If you like the KA, then you could look at the Panda or 500, which are very similar cars. The Panda is cheaper, has 5 doors and is more practical.

You don't say much about what you're looking for. It's not clear whether you will need to carry passengers or other items etc..

The i10 is good value, and the C1/107 is very cheap to run.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - Drivethru

Thanks for that, I didn't realise the KA was made by Fiat. I am looking for something small with about a 1.2 engine, three doors is ok as I don't normally carry passengers and I would hopefully be keeping it for a good few years,

I think at the moment I would probably go with another Micra as this one has been really reliable, I have just had the normal wear and tear parts to replace. If they still did this shape I wouldn't hesitate in replacing it.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - TTToommy

Ka and Fiat 500 were jointly developed as are many modern cars you'll find rather than "Fiat make the Ka"

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - SteveLee
The original Micra is about as burstproof a car you can buy, unfortunately the new shape one is more like a Renault in terms of reliability...
Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - corax
The original Micra is about as burstproof a car you can buy, unfortunately the new shape one is more like a Renault in terms of reliability...

Agreed, the original is a really solid machine - a workmate has one that does 20000 miles a year and just keeps going. The new shape isn't a patch on the old one, it's already showing signs of dodgy Renault electrics.

The Toyota Yaris is a tough little car.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - primeradriver
The spiritual successor to the Micra is, in my view, the Mitsubishi Colt.

Unburstable engines, good build quality, decent to drive and cheap. Belt-cam, but you can't have everything. The Mitsubishis that aren't 4x4s or fire-breathing sports cars tend to be ignored -- but that doesn't mean they are bad cars. Far from it.

Plenty of other good far-Eastern (or other similar reliable ones) small cars on the market in reasonable numbers as well -- Toyota Yaris as mentioned, Honda Jazz, Colt, Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, Pug 107/Cit C1/Toyota Aygo, Hyundai Getz/i10, Kia Rio, Skoda Fabia, Fiat Panda. All solid little cars.
Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - carl_a
The spiritual successor to the Micra is, in my view, the Mitsubishi Colt. Unburstable engines, good build quality, decent to drive and cheap. Belt-cam, but you can't have everything.

Colt since 2004 has been chain cam not belt. The good build quality applied to everything but the interior, shockly naff on the two that I've had as they've both rattled in the same place even though one was a 2006 model and the new one is a 2010 facelifted one. Don't let this put you off though, good cars with great engine (only get the 1.1 the 1.3 feel lifeless) and MPG, but not refined.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - primeradriver

OK, maybe you can have everything then :)

I found the Colt's interior to be functional, a bit spa***, but well put together. Typical Mitsubishi, and quite similar to the Micra that was similarly utilitarian.

Fair enough if they have a few rattles, but that never put me off a car.

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - jonmac2910

The new Micra has only been on sale a couple of months and built in India. 2 of my neighbours have already bought a couple. I'm waiting for the 1.2 supercharged version which promises very good fuel consumption. Then I may buy

Nissan Micra - Nissan v Ford - Kiltox

What about a Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10 (i10 offering the slightly bigger engine and more interior stuff)

Cheap as chips and reliable.