Ford galaxy 1.9tdi - My car fills with smoke - mart4478

Hi i have a 2004 ford galaxy about 2 years ago i accidentaly hit a badger which as you can imagine caused fairly substantial damage . The car was repaired via the insurance company and promptly returned back to me . The following day whilst driving the car it filled with a very chemically smelling smoke which came in through the front vents . The car was sent back to the company that fixed it and no fault was found . This has since happened about six times in the last two years with the smoke coming through various places inside the car . Most recently one of the places being the seatbelt guides . The smoke seems to mainly come through the passenger side more than anywhere else and during one episode whilst we were standing outside the car the smoke was seen coming out of what seems to be small hole in the sill . Unfortunately i have not yet managed to get the car to a garage while this is happening . I have been told on more than one occasion that the places i have described the smoke coming from is virtually impossible and the only way to find the problem would be to strip the whole engine out .

I would appreciate it if anybody has any ideas as to what might be causing this

Many thanks mart

Ford galaxy 1.9tdi - My car fills with smoke - elekie&a/c doctor

The diesel models of these are fitted with an aux heater unit (fueled by the diesel).Interestingly it is fitted below the chassis on the passenger side.It fires up automatically when outside temps are low.Most common problem for smoking is a failed glow plug on the unit.hth

Ford galaxy 1.9tdi - My car fills with smoke - mart4478

Hi thanks . will check that out asap and see about replacing the glow plug fingers crossed that will help because i have seen aux heater get fairly smokey from time to time .

Thanks again

Ford galaxy 1.9tdi - My car fills with smoke - Alky

Had a similar problem with a VW transporter, turned out to be an auxiliary heater, does it smell a bit like parrafin, and did it just start during the colder months. The VW response was to reroute the heater exhaust.

Alky