Tyres - johnny
I ripped a front tyre wall whilst parking - a protruding piece of old cast iron drain cover where the kerb has crumbled away. 1. Are the council liable ? If so what's the chance of them coughing up £70
2. Is it a good idea to have a matching front pair (My spare is a brand new Goodyear 195 65 R15) or is that just the tyre shop looking for extra trade?
Tyres - BB
The best course of action is to take a photograph of the drain cover and where it has crumbled. Send this along with a picture of the rip on the wall of your tyre and a copy of the repair costs (if you have done it yet) to the coucil and tell them (nicely) what happened.
Tyres - Vin {P}
Just a tip, take the photo *before* you report it to the council. Mate of mine tripped over a broken kerb, dislocated his shoulder and reported it to the council. They turned up within the hour, replaced the stone and denied it all the way to the doors of the court. Luckily, my mate had an ex council employee as a witness, who had reported the thing some time before.

Don't trust them an inch.

V
Tyres - Andrew-T
Just get a mate for the spare - no point having an unused tyre in the boot (or wherever).