Citroen C4 Coupe (2005) - Citroen C4 2005 - Known Issue? - robb75

I have a Citroen C4 Coupe, 1.6Hdi (diesel), 5 years old with 27,000 miles on the clock. Very low mileage , serviced regularly and driven carefully. I noticed the clutch slipping a couple of months ago and as it was due for a service I asked the guy to check the clutch which he did and said it was a little worn but should be ok in the meantime. A week or so after the service I was out in the car and went to reverse to get out of a space when I heard a soft thud and the car stopped moving. I then tried to put it in first and move forward and the engine just revved without moving anywhere. I decided to take it to a Main Dealer because I wanted the car back as soon as possible and thought they would be more skilled in looking and correcting the problem. 3 weeks later I received a phonecall (yes 3 weeks!) to tell me that they had taken out the gear box and discovered a deformed finger. Whilst they had the gear box out they decided to replace the clutch even though it was pretty ok because to replace it a year or so down the line would mean another 8 hour labour. They are now trying to charge me £900 for parts +labour in a car that although is 5 years old has very low mileage and has in no way been thrashed around at all.

Is there anything I can argue with the dealers to get this cost reduced? I have seen many people with clutch issues in C4's so am wondering if it is a design fault that they should go so early? I dont know too much about mechanics so what would cause the deformed finger in the first place? Any advice and help you can give would be most appreciated.

Robb75

Citroen C4 Coupe (2005) - Citroen C4 2005 - Known Issue? - Collos25

I think you are on a hiding to nothing they will just say its out of gaurantee the only chance you have is if they have serviced the car and also did they they inform you what they were going to do and how much it would cost because if they didn,t just tell them to put the old clutch back and take it from there..

I personally would not have have taken the car to the agents in the first place as the are renown for high prices something you must have already known, but they are correct in one way and that is to replace the clutch while it was stripped down its good practice.