Ford Fiesta - Cambelt advice - s3xymamma

Hey all. Need some advice.

I purchased a V reg Ford Fiesta Zetec LX 1.25 yesterday and got advised that when started she makes a whisling noise, she got drove back from Norwich to Ipswich and the noise never stopped.

I got her a full service today. New oil and air filter, new plugs and leads and since then she doesn't whisle but now there's a light clunking noise. But i've now been told she needs a new cam belt coz it's frayed?

There wasn't any service history with the car and she's done 115,020 miles. The bloke said he had her for 2 years and never serviced her once.

Is this a pricey job? I mean, should i not drive her at all til i know that i'm taking her to get a new cam belt?

I have loads of mechanic friends who will do the job, but they haven't said a price. I would rather get it done now, but i would like to know how much it would be so i can get my head around it, lol

Thanks

Ford Fiesta - Cambelt advice - tdc

Could go at any time judging by description and on that mileage.

You should consider new idlers/tensioner,waterpump plus auxillary belt whilst you`re at it.

Many owners have paid around £400 total for labour&parts including the above.

If I was unable to do such a job myself I would probably pay a competent mechanic CIH£50-80 plus get parts from motor factors and gaskets&bolts from Ford.Not a difficult job.