2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Jarek D.

Hi

I have found a 2006 renault laguna 2.0 petrol automatic for 3500 pounds

What do you think, good or bad choice???

The car has 76.000 miles, full service history, recent cambelt change.

I have heard bad stories about previous laguna but HJ states that the new model is much better.

Thank You for you help!

Jarek D.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - joshua

I am sure you will get all the Renault bashers along soon.

So I will get my two pennies worth in now.

I have a 2007 diesel - its been the most comfrtable car that I have had. Its quick too.

Lots of car for little money. Its also behaved itsself, which is more than I can say for some of the usual Ford and VW cars that we have had previously.

The petrol engine shoud be reliable and Renault seem to have sorted the auto box out. I think they now use a Nissan one.

Enjoy !

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - SteveLee
Put your money in a nice tidy pile, squirt it with lighter fluid then apply a lit match. That pretty much sums up buying a Laguna - don't. Yes I'm sure there MUST be the odd decent one about, but in general, they are terrible.

A well looked after slightly older Mondeo or Honda Accord would be a much better buy for the same cash. Or if you want French metal, try a (petrol) Citroën C5, yes they are not as reliable as a Mondeo but they are not that bad either and like the Laguna can be picked up for peanuts.

Better still buy a petrol Škoda Octavia. The petrol ones are a bargain.

There you go !

As said there would be one along !!

Well my friend, my parents have a petrol Skoda Octavia and been in and out of the dealers with various problems.

In all cars you have good and bad.

The Lagunas reputation was dented with the model built between 2001 and 2005.

As HJ says, cars built after this - problems sorted out.

Anyway - there will be loads more Renault bashers on their way, that you will be sure of !

Most have never had one, or like me you have one bad car and slate the mark until your grave ! ie Ford and VW. mmmmmmm just remembered our MX5 did not live upto expextations and that was brand new. Thats supposed to be one of the most reliable car.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - japdriver

Big French cars + auto gearbox = walk away. Renault autos are awful, and you are virtually guaranteed problems. That is why they are almost giveaway price cheap!

There is always a reason some cars are cheap, with the petrol Laguna it's because they are unreliable when mated to an auto box.

Your money, but I wouldn't!!

Someone else, who lives in the past and has no foundation to his comment.

At least it keeps the prices down.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Carole4X4
I agree with Joshua, I have had bad experiences with cars that others on here rate highly, mondeo, focus, Citroën.

2 mondeos mk 1 & mk 2 both needed alternators, timing belts, water pumps and various other bits and pieces with less than 50k on them.
Both focus diesels mk1's a tdi and a tdci had bottom end engine failures at between 70k & 73k miles.
For those reasons I would not have another ford having gone down the route of saying ' I must have gotten a Friday afrternoon car' but to have 4 wasmore than enough.

Citroën - after the amount of failures on a brand new 59 plate berlingo multispace before it got 3500 miles on the clock I certainly would never have another.

I know one persons experience of poor cars and even worse customer service in the case of Citroën, both dealer and Citroën UK, doesn't mean the whole marque is poor hence the sane with Renault. You only tend to hear of the bad things on these type of forum and never a fortitude of 'great cars, etc etc.'
I now have a grand scenic dynamique tomtom 106 diesel and cannot fault it whatsoever in reliBility, build quiliyy, comfort, space etc.
I also have an old Land Rover Discovery 300tdi and everyone slates those for everything from build quality, reliability, rust etc but I love it, never failed to start first time during the recent snow and temps of -10.

You take your choice on whatever you like and if you get a bad one then the old saying 'once bitten twice shy' comes into play.

Carole
2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - SteveLee

Big French cars + auto gearbox = walk away. Renault autos are awful, and you are virtually guaranteed problems. That is why they are almost giveaway price cheap!

There is always a reason some cars are cheap, with the petrol Laguna it's because they are unreliable when mated to an auto box.

Your money, but I wouldn't!!

My big french car has a very German sounding ZF gearbox - it's been faultless so far (5 years), well faultless in terms of reliability, the programming (the French input?) is less than impressive. My XM (mk2) and Xantia never went wrong in any way - not even once.

The only Renaults I've ever known to be reliable are Clios (gearboxes aside) I've had a few Renaults over the years and they were all rubbish - especially the 25 v6 - the worst car I've ever had by a long chalk, the same engine/gearbox and fuel injection system in a Volvo 760 gave me no trouble at all. Even worse thatn the "Friday" BMW 735 I had. I've never been stranded by the roadside in a Citroën or Jaguar - two supposedly unreliable marques. I can write a list of Germans that have let me down along with the Renaults which I try to erase from my memory through fear of mental damage.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - madf

There is of course a simple and reasonably objective way of seeing how reliable or otherwise a model is.. Search for all the references to it in the Technical Section in the last year..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=4&author=&model=&subject=renault+laguna&q=&days=365

"

However, if something goes wrong, it isn’t likely to be that cheap to fix. Figures from Warranty Direct suggest the norm for repair costs is roughly 50% higher than for the Mondeo, Vectra and C5. In addition, some owners find front tyres wear quicker than expected."

h*********************/car-reviews/used/renault/laguna-hatchback/full-review/23604-5

Buy it and gamble...and hope Renault electrics work as they get older. Hint: they age badly. And Renault dealers are good. Hint: they are not.

Edited by madf on 15/02/2011 at 11:10

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Jarek D.

I don't know what to think .Honest John says that 2006 upwards are good cars and all the problems that previous models have (had) are gone with the new model.

Long time ago I had a1996 laguna petrol 2.0 and it was the best car I have owned.

I was thinking about C5 aswell but my friend just bought one and is having problems with the hydroactive suspension.

I think about it and I will go and Take a look at the car and give it a test drive, so we will see.

I just want to thank You for your opinions.

Regards

Jarek D

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - oldtoffee

You could choose to ignore both the doom and gloom merchants and the pro Renault brigade and accept that the truth lies somewhere between the two. So like many other brands a bit of a gamble and if you like the car enough you'll take it on. For what its worth my extended family and small business have at one time or another over the last 7 or 8 years have had 6 Renaults, Clio, Megane, 2 x Scenic, 2 x Laguna and between them they've been significantly more reliable and cheaper to run than just about any 5 other cars we've had and you can choose from VW, Audi. Vauxhall, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Subaru. Best by a mile has been Fiat and Skoda.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - iany

Renault = Unreliable.

renault with petrol engine and auto box = poor economy and performance

renault laguna 2006 model = lots of common faults (you'll spend most days on phone to the dealer)

be careful ,me and the mrs have had a handful of renaults between us over the years and there's plenty of reasons why we havent had another one for years!! also, i know a few people that have been burnt by these things.......

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Kiltox

The Laguna II was improved massively at the 2005 facelift. I've just parted with a 2007 manual 2.0 petrol which was reliable and greatly comfortable (fuel costs, however...)

Not sure what an automatic will be like but there's certainly nothing wrong with the manual version with the same engine.

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - davmal

I have driven many miles through France and the low countries, and the autoroutes are littered with lifeless Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots, probably all autos with diesel engines (common rail, no doubt that have some point in their past been misfuelled)

Makes you wonder why they are so popular on the continent ;(

Personally, I think that they are comfortable, stylish and imaginatively furnished, and about as much of a gamble as any used car. My Mazda, that paradigm of reliability, was an unreliable money pit.

Some people still haven't forgiven the French for the Norman Conquest, after all, what have the french ever done for us....?

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Bedhead

In my experience, Renault have either been very good, or totally rubbish, no in between, I owned a great Laguna Mk1 that I loved, then an Extra van that decided it didn't like life and committed mechanical suicide.

My boss has an Avantime and it's a lovely car, but he's facing a 2k bill for a timing belt change and it has a habit of eating coils. Before that he had a Safrane that never missed a beat, it had an Aisin-Warner gearbox in it, sourced from Toyota if I recall correctly.

Pays your money etc..........

2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - primeradriver
My dad has a 54 Laguna (petrol -- I think the trick with the early 2000s Lagunas is to avoid the autos and diesels) and it's been OK.

One thing I will say though is that there seems to be a difference in attitude between German/Japanese car owners and French/Italian owners.

I've seen quite a number of occasions where work colleagues have had trouble with their cars. Whenever it's German/Japanese, the fury is palpable -- "how dare this well-engineered German/Japanese car fail!". With the French cars, there seems to be an acceptance -- "oh it's only a minor fault" -- yeah but it stopped your car from moving on the A1M, that's not minor...

In the cases I've heard about it's the Meganes, rather than the Lagunas that seem to let go most often and most expensively.
2006 renault laguna - 2006 Renault Laguna, Good or Bad!!! - Avant

Oldtofffee above gets nearest to the truth. I had seven reliable Renaults in a row, the first in 1980 and the last in 1998. After that I changed jobs and got a higher salary but no car, and buying one's own Renault was a no-no because of high depreciation (market perception caused by other pepple's problems).

There seems to have been a serious dip in quality between 2000 and 2005, but a 2006 mnodel should be better. There are of course plenty of good examples around, but the reality is that getting a good one is more of a gamble than it would be with a Japanese car. Japanese cars (petrol ones anyway) seem to be abvle to withstand abuse and neglect better than Europeans.

Jarek - you could be lucky but is it worth looking at a Toyota Avensis, Mazda 6 or Honda Accord?