Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Smileyman

I’ve recently been on a speed awareness course and there was one specific point mentioned that I’m unsure how reliable it is. It is related to the use of 3 rd gear as being the best gear to use when driving on a 30 mph limit road.

Apparently, it is usual for motorists to rush into 4 th gear, and trundle along at a little over idle engine speed , whereas it would be better to change down to 3 rd and drive at higher engine revs. The instructor added that at just over idle speed not all the fuel in the engine is used, so is wasted, however at say 1800 - 2000 rpm all the fuel is used, thus avoiding wastage.

I’ve tried the 3 rd at 30 and accept with the engine working harder I am more likely to drive at a slower speed, but this fuel economy comment just does not compute.

Any comment from those who know – either in agreement or disagreement - would be very welcome.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Andy P

If the instantaneous mpg widget in my BMW is anything to go by, higher rpm = lower fuel consumption. It may have been the case with older carburettor-fed engines, but nowadays the engine management systems in cars ensure that only enough fuel is injected to ensure complete combustion.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - ForumNeedsModerating

You don't say how many gears you have, or indeed whether it's petrol or diesel.

1800-2000 rpm sounds a bit high (at 30mph) for a diesel, I aim for an rpm range of 1500-1600 @ 30mph in my turbodiesel - the torgue curve is getting meaty at this point & the car pulls cleanly, without any labouring/shuddering.

You say 'working harder' - in fact it's the opposite - it's working 'easier' as the torque output is higher at that higher rpm & so the engine easily copes with the gearing load.

I agree there seems to be a fetish about getting into a higher ASAP - wrongly in my view - as an aid to economical running, quite often the opposite's the case.

My car is geared for ~35mph/1000rpm in 6th - too high to feel comfortable for anything less than 70mph cruising in my view. Quite often I'll cruise in 5th @ 60mph with puts the rmp range in the torquey & unstressed 2000rpm band.

If you have an instantaneous fuel consumption read-out, try cruising at 50-60 mph & compare the rates between top gear (whatever that is on your car) & the gear lower. I doubt you'll find it using more in the lower gear & you'll certainly have more in reserve for speed changes & a less stressed engine. All IMHO, of course.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - tyro

Based on my experience, I suspect that the answer is: it depends on the car, the engine and the gearing, but in a lot of vehicles, 4th gear is going to be more economical than 3rd at 30 mph.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Sofa Spud

It depends very much on the car. My previous car, a VW Passat 1.9 TDI was unhappy in 4th gear at 30 mph, so always only used the 1st, 2nd and 3rd around town. I now have a VW Touran 1.9 TDI, basically the same engine, but with a 6-speed gearbox as opposed to the Passat's 5-speed. The Touran is perfectly comfortable in 4th gear at 30 mph, so I use it on clear stretches of road around town.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - fredthefifth

Basically .... it depends. But allowing an engine to struggle at too low revs is not economic.

Third gear advice in 30 limits has been around for some time. I think it is more about being in control than engine load. The tendency when in the wrong gear with revs on the low side might be to slowly speed up. When in a gear with in the 'right' rev range, control is better and speed control also more stable.

My thoughts anyway!

FTF

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Dutchie

In town about 30mph I find the Focus 1.6 TDCI is happy in 4th gear.By 40 45 mph on a straight road 5th gear is fine.Uphill drop a gear don't lug the engine.

Once in a while when the engine is hot pull up in third gear over 4000 refs stops the engine getting lazy.

Steady on the gas is inportant be lightfooted I believe aircon is a fuel user.

What has been said before it depends on the car diesel or petrol.

Just my thoughts also.:)

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - tanvir

I stay in 3rd in 30 zones because it stops me speeding

Edited by tanvir on 11/02/2011 at 14:19

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - daveyjp

Using 3rd/4th (depending on 5 or 6 speed box) in 30 zones is more about car control than saving fuel.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Andy P

Just tried it in the Beemer and it's about 10mpg worse in 3rd than 4th. Of course, having an auto box means I can leave the car to decide what gear it wants to be in.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - daveyjp

What happens if you try to get 5th in an auto at 30mph? If it's like mine it won't let you, why is that? I suspect it's becuase the engine labours and this uses more fuel - just like trying to ride a 10 speed bike in 10th at too low speed, you get tired very quickly.

My auto maintains revs at 1500-1900 rpm by selecting the correct gear for the speed I am travelling at. As a result my urban mpg figures for autos have always been very close to official figures.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - component part

@Daveyjp

I think that a vehicle at any given road speed in the highest gear possible that the engine can maintain without labouring will result in the lowest possible fuel consumption. It is a well established fact that lower revs=lower fuel consumption.

Of course, at 30mph 4th and 5th or 6th gear can be so tall the engine labours and can compromise vehicle control because you have less acceleration and engine braking available.

I would probably be in 4th at 30 most of the time in my car, if it was a very long clear 30mph limit maybe 5th. Although the engine is happy in 5th at 30mph in my car, I don't like the feeling of reduced control and it feels only just above the point where it would begin labouring. Down a busy street or a residential road etc I would use 3rd. Although I don't tend to fly down a narrow residential street at the full 30mph anyway.

I don't think cycling is an accurate analogy-for your example 'gear 10 at too low speed' requires more torque than you can comfortably or outright produce and you will tire very quickly. A car's engine produces a constant and known amount of torque at any given RPM that basically doesn't vary and doesn't fatigue, and the gearing is matched to this. Your analogy if anything is closer to trying to drive at 10mph in 5th or up a hill with engine RPMS at idle speed or something, then the car will judder and slow and then the engine is getting 'tired very quickly'.

As long as the engine is not being laboured then the taller the gear and the lower the RPMs the less fuel is being used-ignoring issues of control over your speed which may dictate using a lower gear.

Can anyone disprove me?

Cheers.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - component part

Apologies for the retarded formatting.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Chris23

There is another factor. One of the reasons for the failure of dual mass flywheels is where they are asked to deal with too much vibration. One of the main causes of this is using too few revs & the engine being forced to labour.

If you are running a diesel you will protect you dmf by using a gear that keep the engine in a rev range where it is working efficiently. For most diesels this is not below 1500rpm & for many smaller ones not much below 2000rpm.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - gfewster

The answer is that it depends. What does it depend on? Well...... the engine characteristics, the weight of the vehicle, the gear ratios, how much load you have on board, the gradient, the road surface, etc etc etc. Just about everything.

A bit of experimenting will tell you whether your car is happier in 3rd or 4th at 30mph. I have two diesels and generally I find that they are both happy in 4th on the flat or downhill, but I'd tend to use 3rd for even a slight uphill gradient. When the speed drops off, the Focus seems to want a lower gear before the Passat does. One thing remains constant though - if the engine is labouring and judders when you give it more gas, then you're in too high a gear.

Modern ECUs fuel the engine in such an efficient and carefully-controlled way that I doubt you'd see much difference in mpg between gears at a given road speed - so long as the engine speed wasn't excessively high or low.

I wouldn't read too much into anything you heard from an 'instructor' on a speed awareness course. They aren't usually the sharpest tools in the box, and 99% of the time they are just repeating the 'syllabus' parrot-fashion.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - madf

The comments by a instructor are of course based on opinions.

So they bear no weight in the real world. They may be right or wrong but as there are no facts to prove the case, it's just opinion.

Therfore can be safely ignored. My yaris diesel drives happily at 30mph in 4th..

Thanks everyone for your comments - my thoughts were the instructor was repeating the party line and many of you agreed with this point.

However, I have spent the last week driving in 4th (6 speed box) instead of 5th and found it easier to stick to 30 in this lower gear, which I consider the was the real aim of the message, and all the talk about being more fuel economical to be a smokescreen to persuade the unknowing they may be saving money on fuel costs.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - unthrottled

I'm going to bump this thread.

The answer is an emphatic 'NO'.

The instructor said this because there is a tendency to let the speed creep up at very low revs because the engine speed fels unnaturally low.

A constant 30mph on the flat requires at most 10hp. At 1500 RPM that equates to 35lbf.ft of torque. Even in a small engine this is nowhere near labouring. There will be vibration at this speed, but this shouldn't fool one into thinking that this corrosponds to engine stress.

Downshift to accelerate though!

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - jamie745

How bored were you to find this thread?!

I was looking for info on transmission ratios and stumbled upon it!

............And THAT is supposed to make it more interesting?!?!?!

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Avant

Go away, Jamie. It's quite an interesting topic to revisit.

I'm sure the instructor is right: although it might use a little more fuel to stay in 3rd at 30 mph, if it makes it easier to keep the speed limit it'll have been worth it to avoid points and fines.

The reason I decided to ressurect the thread pertains to the current discussions regarding the Hyundai Rio 1.1CRDi and the increasing discrepency between official fuel consumption figures and 'real world' observed economy.

We can reasonably level criticism at the NEDC, but the biggest variable comes down to driving style. In order to get the engine into its efficient region, you have to use low speed and high torque. The simple fact is that most folks do not to be in this area. You have little engine braking, not much available acceleration, and rather unpleasant vibrations. Unfortunately, this is what it takes to hit the biggest mpg numbers.

The manufacturers have done their bit-the rest is down to the driver.

Forgive a really untechnical question- Unthrottled, you may well know the answer.

If I drive in too high a gear - say 30 mph in 5th or 6th - and bury my right foot in the carpet but produce little acceleration, am I using more or less fuel than doing 30 mph in 3rd? Accelerator more 'open' but lower revs.

Virtually always less. There is concern about 'labouring' damaging the engine, but it is more economical. if you want an unbiased view, google "BSFC maps" under 'images'. you'll get a lot of graphs with contours. The numbers represent the amount of work done per unit of fuel-lower is better. You find that virtually all engines reach peak eficiency by 1500-2000 RPM and about 80% load. Note how the numbers rise rapidly towards the bottom of the graph.

The snag with 30-40mph is that you only need about 10-15hp, and that means very low revs to get into the efficient area.

Why do i sometimes get the feeling im not wanted?

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - oldgit

I use my cruise control to control my speed in certain speed limit areas but doesn't work too well if there is a steep-ish decline as the speed is not held.

Thanks very much, Unthrottled: I thought you'd know.

Cruise control works better with automatics than manuals, for the reason Oldgit suggests. With a manual if you have to change down, dipping the clutch turns the cruise control off.

Out of curiosity, which gear does the DSG select at 30 mph?

Higher than I'd have expected - at a steady 30 it gets up to 5 (out of 6). It doesn't cause a problem as it kicks down into 4 or 3 if you accelerate (to go up a hill or when the limit ends).

The gearing may be different from the manual - and my last two cars have been diesel manuals - but with the manual I found that the optimum gear to be in corresponded with 10s of mph - 10 in 1st, 20 in 2nd and so on up to 60 in 6th.

I thought it might.

You're quite right to point out that the overall gearing varies from car to car. I usually go into 5th at 30. Initially it felt unnatural, but the pen and paper calculation convinced me.

I've heard of people overriding DSG's choice of ratio because they were worried about labouring, but that doesn't make sense. The DSG will be programmed to avoid unsuitable gear selections.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - davmal
"...and so on up to 60 in 6th."

So you're one of these dawdlers then? ;)

60mph is fine for national speed limit roads. On dual carriageways, it doesn't matter because there is an overtaking lane. We assume that Avant didn't buy a VRS and a Z3 to dawdle...!

My driving instructor used to encourage me to change up to 5th in a 30mph limit if the stretch ahead was long and clear.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Bobbin Threadbare

5th at 30mph? Out of 5 gears? Convince me. I use 4th at 30. Mr B's Celica likes 4th at 28mph but that's a 6-speed manual.

5th out of ffive Bobbin.

It's to do with engine speed rather than gear number. Any more tyhan 1500 RPM for pottering at 30 is a complete waste. I tend to switch between 3rd and 5th at 30-never 4th. if I need to accelerate, 3rd has more potential. 5th gives better economy if I don't. I rarely use 4th any more. it's a sort of non gear.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Bobbin Threadbare

Well I agree with the 3rd to get a bit of acceleration and you've got a point about the revs. I might try it but I always feel that the car doesn't like it - it sounds wrong.

It was a 5 speed yes. I drive an automatic now so it just does what it likes. Its such a smooth box im blissfully unaware of its activity. Unlike in an automatic Peugeot where the change from 1st to 2nd is like being kicked up the a*** by a bus.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - oldgit

Well, I'd always assumed it was learner or inexperienced drivers who'd cling onto 3rd gear rather than change up to a higher gear. It seems now that this is perhaps what we should do in order not to exceed, say, the 30mph limit.
I don't mind staying in 3rd gear in my Golf as there is no gearbox whine, as there used to be in cars of decades ago, particularly some BMC cars. However it doesn't feel natural to me so to do (stay in 3rd gear, that is).

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Ethan Edwards

My opinion is that the Instructor is indeed parroting the party line. Speed awareness course? Hateful propaganda.

Generations of Mini Cab drivers use higher gears at lower speeds so it cannot be that wrong.

These people drive for a living so it's in their interest to minimise fuel consumption. So I suggest you take advice on this subject from 'those that do rather than those who teach'.

Regarding the 'drifting into higher speeds' may I suggest that drivers use the speedometer and regulate it themselves?

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 30/08/2011 at 11:31

The drifting thing is hard to avoid if there is a bit of NVH at 30mph at, say 1500 RPM that causes the dashboard to rattle or somethinng, but disappears at 35. Subconciously, you'll drift up to 35 to avoid it. It's not just about poor throotle control!

I think this is why has been a big push to fit Dual Mass Flywheels to petrol engines, which don't really require them. It's to encourage us to use the lower speeds and high torque.

I wish I had one-and you don't hear that very often!

To my knowledge a speed awareness course is like a North Korea style brainwashing session where you're not allowed out of the room until you accept that all speed of all sorts kill, immediately, without question.

The bizarre thing is they say to use third gear to slow down, yes fine we know the lower gear you're in the slower you'll be going but as Ethan above says drivers should use the speedo to see their speed themselves. They're probably there because of being flashed by a speed camera and speed camera's force you to ignore the road and stare intensely at your speedo until you know you're past it. At no point am i concentrating less on my driving than when im going past a speed camera, i just stare at the dashboard going '28...28...28..28' i could be running over children, hearing the pram going under the wheels, running over animals, feathers everywhere etc i wouldnt notice them because im going past a Government ATM.

I'd listen more to cab drivers or anybody for whom fuel economy is a vital part of their business, the speed awareness lot will teach you how best to drive slowly, but cabbies go everywhere in 5th gear all night. And it is easy to drift into a higher speed as they say especially going downhill in an automatic.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - Ethan Edwards

Hey Jamie you musn't insult the 'dear leader'!

Regarding feathers. Last week on the A12 I'm cruising along. I had to get home swiftly to take the dog the the vets. He had a 60/40 chance of not coming home with us. What happens? A pigeon see's summat tasty about a yard in front of my car. Like an idiot he settles on the road to chow down.

So Pigeon at zero mph versus a tonne plus car at 70mph. The Pigeon lost.

He may have been just stunned but bounced into the lane next to me whereupon he was hit again. Not a good sign I thought.

In 29 years of motoring thats only the second time I've killed anything.

Another bird...insignificant I suppose ....but I really don't like taking a life.

Where wre the greed scamera's then? And why didn't they leap in and save the Pigeon? If speed kills how come all I've managed to do is lose two birds? Especially as I used to have /enjoy some nippy BMW's some years ago?

Speed kills- stick to Meths.

Doesnt he prefer 'Supreme Leader' or something now?

The messages about speed have always been quite bizarre, like the adverts with the child who says 'if you hit me at 30 i'll live' ok i'll make sure i run you over at 30 then? Most collisions happen in slow urban areas with 20mph limits and our fastest roads are statistically our safest (no pedestrians on the M6 to be fair) but nobody has ever been killed by speed.

Crashing is what kills us, thats what we need to prevent. Speed never hurt anybody. Speed is good.

Any - 3rd gear at 30 - is it more fuel economical? - davecooper
Had a friend who, from when the car was new, changed into 5th as soon a he hit 30 and stayed there unless the car was obviously in distress. At 60k miles, the car had a very noticeable gearbox whine in 5th. Coincidence?

Almost certainly!

I still consider the person in front poodling along at 29.95 mph is more of a nuisance / danger than the person driving at 32 - 33 - 34 .... speed in itself is not a problem, inappropriate speed is the problem.