First Time Buyer Need Advice - mmarsh

Hi all...

First a brief history. I am an American living in Paris (yes there are a few of us). I have a NYS drivers license, but since its incompatible with Europe I am in the slow progress of getting a French one. Despite the fact I have a US Drivers license I actually have very little driving experiance having got away with not needing a car until recently.

Once I obtain my French License I will need a car, primarily to get to and from work but also to take the occasional cruise to the coast or such. My wife and I are expecting a baby soon so I want something that is baby proof and large enough to fit baby and accessories. Also I am somewhat tall (6'2) and I really dont fit too well inside very small cars like a Twingo, 107, Fox, or C1. Also the car MUST have an AUTOMATIC transmission, not manual or robotic manual (like the Honda Jazz II) otherwise the wife cannot legally drive it in France.

I have only driven two cars myself a Volvo 240GS Stationwagon (manual) and currently a Citroen C3 at the auto school. I keep hearing bad things about the realibilty of French cars (mostly from the French) so I would prefer something thats not likely to leave me stranded in the middle of the highway.

People keep telling me to get a banger, and trade up quickly. It pains me to toss out good money like say 3000 quid to get a lemon only to junk it within a short time to get what I really want. Seems like a real waste.

Also keep in mind that as I am a new driver I dont want to be killed by huge insurence costs, I can register the car in the wifes name but I am still afraid of getting hammered.

Any help would be greatly appriciated...

First Time Buyer Need Advice - patrick_c
If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at a vw golf or a ford focus. They're both pretty spacious, some come with their respective takes on automatic transmission, shouldn't be too expensive to insure, do well in ncap safety tests, and are pretty reliable. There are other cars in this class that may suit too, such as the kia cee'd, but I'm not sure what the chat is about auto gearboxes in them.

Hope this helped somewhat.

It is helpful. Thanks Patrick_C

I haven't looked at the Ford Focus, but I did take a look at a new c-max.

I also took a very look long at the VW Golf and GOLD PLUS. I liked aded space and height of the GOLF PLUS, but I am worried about insurence premiums. People have warned me that they can be pricey.

If I do go for a GOLF, do you think its worth taking a look at an old III or IV or should I look at a V (or even a VI if I can get a good price for it.)

I imagine the insurence for the Focus would be less?

First Time Buyer Need Advice - patrick_c

Truthfully I'm not too sure on the intricacies of different models etc, so would wait for someone else re the mk of golf.

I'd imagine Golf Plus and C-Max will be dearer to insure than their Golf and Focus siblings purely becuase of the higher price they command. A lot of car magazines have tables in the back few pages with a variety of information regarding different models, such as which ones come with auto, and their guide insurance groups, so well worh picking one up. Some insurance comparison (eg confused.com, moneysupermarket.com) sites let you input car details and your details and work out your quotes, and save older ones, which can allow you to see in real terms how much you could be paying.

You should perhaps also consider cars like the 5 door VW Polo or Ford Fiesta; although moving away from C-Max etc, they are roomier than you might think, especially in the front. They would also be a good bit cheaper to buy and insure than, for example, a C-Max.

I drive a Focus just now, ended up choosing it over a Golf purely becuase it was cheaper to buy and insure.

First Time Buyer Need Advice - unthrottled

The golf feels like a nicer car to be in than the focus, but don't buy into the myth of bulletproof engineering. An old III or IV Golf is much more likely to start having niggling problems than the much newer 'other brand' that you would buy for the same money.

When you say a 'proper automatic', do you mean a traditional one with a torque converter? Legally, an automatic is anything that doesn't have a clutch pedal. How the mechanicals work is irrelevant. The reason I ask is that there are not many small cars fitted with torque converters these days. They are not a good match to a small engine. The already modest performance and the good fuel economy are seriously impaired with a slush box. But they are very smooth and possibly more robust than some of the CVT alernatives.

As you know, automatics are not popular in Europe. Buying second hand, it may be a case of buying what is available, rather than what you want. The French are very patriotic about cars and I would start the search with French car manufacturers in order to widen your choice. Peugeot and Citroen (and even Renault) are far more reliable than the snide remarks would suggest. second hand prices, parts and maintainance will be low. I would echo your friend's remarks about getting a cheapish car. Look at the other cars on Parisian roads-you'll see a lot of minor scrapes and dents. It is not a good place to be car proud. If someone scrapes your pride and joy, it'll really ruin your day. Better to be in a position to shrug it off!

First Time Buyer Need Advice - ForumNeedsModerating

Unless your wife's licence makes a distinction between an automated manual & a torque coverter auto (check with licensing authority to be sure) I wouldn't angst too much over the 'proper' auto tag.

Having said that, I'd be tempted by the 'when in Rome, do as the Parisians(!) do..' approach. I don't think you'll see dozens of broken down Citroens/Peugeots littering the highways (especially newer ones), so check out C4/C4 Picasso/C5/ peugeot307/407 - automated maunuals, roomy, practical & economical. The insurance shouldn't be too high - they're an indigenous car after all & servicing (or fixing) should be easy & local. Maybe try one at a local Citroen dealership. Echo the thoughts somewhat of the used car option (though not a banger) as Paris can be hard on cars, especially if you park on the street in a busy area.

As you're somewhat new to driving/car ownership, I'd go the slightly more expensive local franchised dealer used car route - it'll have a manufacturer type warranty & be simpler to own in adversity.

Sure, Focus & Golf are good options, but maybe an easy-ownership indigenous brand might be more of a practical proposition.

First Time Buyer Need Advice - unthrottled
they're an indigenous car after all & servicing (or fixing) should be easy & local.

I remember thinking just that when a friend's Peugeot died on the peage. Apparently, the fact that it was an 'English' Peugeot made the problem much more difficult (and expensive!). Turned out to be the fuel pump. Hrmpf!

All, thanks for the help.

Yes Woodbines, on my wifes French license it clearly states that she is restricted to AUTOMATIC cars only. Now under French law semi-auto/robotic manual transmissions (despite the lack of a clutch pedal) are considered as a manual transmission. Which is a damn shame, because I had practically decided on a Honda Jazz II I-SHIFT until I found this out. I am still awaiting a response from the French Police to confirm this, but I am afraid I am screwed.

As for French cars. I might check out Peugeot again (207/308 maybe the 3008), I am not much of a fan of Citroen. I am unimpressed with the C3 2010 Hatch that I am currently practicing on (6 months old and the clutch is already going bad, the rear wheel has an odd rattle and my instructor said he has already had to add oil to it). He tells me to to get at least a Clio/207 if not a VW. The C4/C5 look to big both as a car and as a investment. Also if I was going to make that big an investment then I almost would buy a VW GOLF or TOURAN.

The only Citreon that looked promising was the Citroen C3 Picasso (because of its loading capabilities like the Jazz), but the nimrods at Citroen have made this car manual shift only (which is odd because the normal C3 has the option). So its out of the competition.

Aside from the Polo/Golf/Golf Plus and the Honda Jazz the other cars I was looking at were the Grand Modus and the Scenic. Unlike the Jazz, The Modus felt cramped for me, (but its inexpensive which is a plus) while the Scenic was spacious. But Renault really needs to work on the Cabin, it feels very Spartan. Realibility is the key question on these cars.

Other cars I might look at at the Nissan Note (some people say Modus is better) and a Honda Civic (but the wife didnt like it).

What do you all think?

First Time Buyer Need Advice - Dutchie

I agree with most of the comments I would look at a french car when in Rome etc.

I f i would buy a french car I would go for Peugeot or Citroen ashame about the picasso not having a auto.its a decent car.