VW/Golf 2002 1.9TDI gearbox problem - Gear Box - Andaaz

Hello everyone

I have a golf gt tdi 130 bhp 02 plate... its done 106k... Automatic gearbox

Few months ago i coudn't put the gear into reverse, i switched off/on the car then it started working.

A week ago, i was driving normally, i stopped on the side of the road to reverse and it went back few yards but felt something has slipped and car just stooped and would not engage into reverse i switched off/on the car but reverse woudn't work...Now each time I put the car in reverse it feels like the engine gets pressure but and slowly tries to move back but its like in nuetral. its a 5 speed gear box all the rest of the gear works fine with no problem

I have no idea where to go and what to do as few mechanics tell me I need to get the gear box changed completely, which seems a very expensive idea.

If any one please guide me in the right direction and if possible where to buy parts and best place for repair as each mechanic comes with different options.

Many Thanks

Andaaz

VW/Golf 2002 1.9TDI gearbox problem - Gear Box - tdc

Have you used reverse a lot,eg,do you have a long steep driveway you reverse up every day?

What colour is the oil when you dip it,and what does it smell of?More to the point,have you ever checked the level?! :)

Does the linkage feel/sound clunky or loose when you select reverse?

Find a friendly independent garage or mechanic who will have a quick look at it for a tenner or so.

Hi

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I don;t really use the reverse much, just the usual few yards. but saying that when the problem started last time I was standing on the steep road and as I started reversing something just slipped.

Linkage : when you put in reverse gear there is a pressure on the engine you can feel the vibration of transmission, but linkage seems to be loose and when you give power to the car it moves very slowly backwards.

Oil, usually is upto normal level, I havn't checked it since last few weeks, but I will check and will let you know.

I showed it to few - one of the mechanics but he was not sure if it was a gear box problem or may be just some kind of link issue. Another just asked me and said I will have to leave the car and its most likely the gear box replacement. Hence the reason I joined here to understand the problem so I can take it to right kinda a mechanic.

Thanks

S

VW/Golf 2002 1.9TDI gearbox problem - Gear Box - tdc

Surprised you haven`t checked level,colour and smell of oil?You need this info to know which direction to head :) .If any of the above three checks reveal a large inconsistency,bearing in mind your symptoms, then you may need of a replacement service-exchange box.Sometimes you can top up the oil and get away with it;the fact you were on a steep gradient when poblem appeared might prove to be a lucky warning!

If these are all ok then find a cheap,reliable mechanic and ask for a quote(not estimate)to check the linkages.They should disconnect the main linkage and operate reverse independently. If it subsequently works ok then they should be able to make adjustments to/replace worn linkage components.