golf mk 4 gti - keeps cutting out - Deano1984

Hi everyone

My golf keeps cutting out when i slow or stop and is very lumpy when idling and sometimes also cuts out when idling i have replaced within the last month as follows spark plugs and leads, oil and filter, i cleaned the throttle butterfly, air mass meter, collant temp sender,and both lambda sensors (very expensive)

this just started yesterday after i changed the leads again because i felt like there was a miss and i brought the last set of leads of ebay (never agan) and sometimes when i turn a corner the oil pressure warning light comes on plus i was getting a clicking from the engine somewhere i read this could be that the oil needed topping up so i did and the clicking went and also the warning light stop coming on but i keeps happening so i top up and stops again (bit worried about this as there is not an oil leak anywhere) please can anybody help me with any of these problems

Thanks

golf mk 4 gti - keeps cutting out - FINTO 5

Hi check the fuses on top of your battrey in the little black box, might be a case a fuse is gone in there, can be a problem with them running lumpy, or maybe change thermosta as regurads car using oil might be turbo or headgasket, see if any oil is in coolant.

golf mk 4 gti - keeps cutting out - unthrottled

You need to find out where the oil is going. If you can't see any leaks, look at the exhaust. Get an assistant to 'chop' the throttle. Look to see if any tell-tale blue tinged smoke smoke appears on application of throttle or over run.

Edited by unthrottled on 07/02/2011 at 21:46

hi everyone i took my car to vw so they could run a diagnosticvs and comppresion test and it looks like where i had changed all the part that i did and not got the system reset the ecu was getting mixed signals this along with a faulty maf was what the problem i have got the maf disconnected now and its not cutting out (touch wood) looks like i gotta go get another maf :-(

thanks mate, no there is no oil in my coolant and apart from when starting up on a cold day there is no smoke i will just go and check the fuses now thanks again ill update if it is a fuse

it is more so when i drop the clutch coming down from higher revs and am coasting

golf mk 4 gti - keeps cutting out - Peter D

Fit a new MAF. Regards Peter

golf mk 4 gti - keeps cutting out - injection doc

Take it to a VW indy and ask them to clean and recalibrate the throttle body. Needs to be done hot and takes about 10 mins. They can also check for any recorded faults at the same time. AFM's are problomatic on this model but so are coolant sensors and throttle bodies.