Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - cosmicjazzer

I've been looking around for a cheapish used car and earlier today viewed what seemed in all respects an excellent 2001 Avensis at a very good price... BUT when I looked at the dipstick (engine was hot) there was no oil showing at all! Owner looked genuinely shocked and admitted he hadn't checked the oil for 'a very long time'!

The very silly thing is, by that time I was already feeling so enthused that I proceeded to go on with the purchase anyway - though have only paid £150 deposit as yet. Now, with a cooler head, I'm feeling rather worried and thinking perhaps I should have run a mile... I could still pull out but with perhaps a £150 loss (the seller is a solicitor...!).

Thoughts anyone?!

Edited by cosmicjazzer on 03/02/2011 at 16:41

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - miata

I've been looking around for a cheapish used car and earlier today viewed what seemed in all respects an excellent 2001 Avensis at a very good price... BUT when I looked at the dipstick (engine was hot) there was no oil showing at all! Owner looked genuinely shocked and admitted he hadn't checked the oil for 'a very long time'!

The very silly thing is, by that time I was already feeling so enthused that I proceeded to go on with the purchase anyway - though have only paid £150 deposit as yet. Now, with a cooler head, I'm feeling rather worried and thinking perhaps I should have run a mile... I could still pull out but with perhaps a £150 loss (the seller is a solicitor...!).

Thoughts anyone?!

The seller is obviously very particular about how he maintains his cars.

How long has it been run in that condition with little oil.

Personally i would not take a chance of having the engine kaput in the very near future.

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - cosmicjazzer

The seller is obviously very particular about how he maintains his cars.

How long has it been run in that condition with little oil.

Personally i would not take a chance of having the engine kaput in the very near future.

I'm feeling somewhat the same now... oh dear!

I know these particular engines often use oil (even from new)... have also heard that they are more or less bullet proof... It did sound ok, it must be said... (Am I trying to convince myself of something here?!)

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - injection doc

sounds like he could be one of those that wits till the light comes on ! by which time some damage is done. If he hasn't checked it for a long time ! if he's been around a few sharp bends or roundabouts the engine has most likley been starved of oil already !

I would opt for walking, express your concern and he may give you your deposit back, may be offer a weeks advert.

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - unthrottled
It is not often appreciated that an engine in good condition SHOULD seize very quickly when deprived of oil-whereas a worn out one will carry on running for ages...

This trick is exploited to spectacular effect by purveyers of snake oil additives. They'll start with a running engine and add a can of 'marvel lube' to the oil-and deliver the spiel about turbomolecular fullerine compounds attaching themselves to vital engine parts to form an indefatigable protective coating. They then drain the oil out of the engine and remove the rocker cover so the audience can see that the engine is indeed running without oil. The salesman produces a bucket of sand or some other abrasive material and, to the audience's amazement, procedes to pour the sand into the running engine! The more sand the better.

Of course it's not marvel lube that's stopping the engine from seizure-it's the sand. It's purpose is to grind down away close close fitting bearings and rings to prevent the runaway heat rise.

The salesman can play on the audience's prejudices. If he's at a muscle car convention-it'll be a chevy V8 that gets the sand treatment. The comparison engine that doesn't get the marvel lube or the sand treatment will inevitably be a brand tha the audience hate-like a Honda for instance. The poor old Honda seizes in seconds while the Chevy rumbles on for ages.

The crowd conclude-entirely erroneously- that the Honda is 'weak' whilst the chevy is 'tough'-and marvel lube makes it tougher.
Couldn't reach the seller by phone but just sent an email asking to cancel the sale agreement...

As for putting sand in engines, I'll try it in my next vehicle... But seriously, an interesting post unthrottled!
Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - unthrottled
Probably for the best. There's always another second hand car round the corner. There's no reason why you should inherit someone else's problem.
Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - TheOilBurner

cosmicjazzer, you should know that Toyota 1.8 VVTi engines from this period are far from bullet proof. They are very well known for drinking oil, starting from 40k miles onwards. The problem is almost universal up until 2003 or so.

If not dealt with then the engine will die quite soon, if it hasn't already been damaged beyond use.

cosmicjazzer, you should know that Toyota 1.8 VVTi engines from this period are far from bullet proof. They are very well known for drinking oil, starting from 40k miles onwards. The problem is almost universal up until 2003 or so.

If not dealt with then the engine will die quite soon, if it hasn't already been damaged beyond use.

Just so I'm clear... If this engine is topped up and at this point apparently runs nicely and sounds ok, does it nevertheless mean that some damage is already quite likely to have occured through the lack of oil which may manifest as a problem somewhere down the line?
This sounds like the seller is trying to convince you!

No one can answer that question really. How many cigarettes can you smoke without getting cancer? There's a good chance that you'd get away with it. we assume the oil pressure light wasn't flashing on and off on the dashboard. But the price would have to be very low to tempt me. So low that the seller would top up with oil and sell it to someone else.
This sounds like the seller is trying to convince you! No one can answer that question really. How many cigarettes can you smoke without getting cancer? There's a good chance that you'd get away with it. we assume the oil pressure light wasn't flashing on and off on the dashboard. But the price would have to be very low to tempt me. So low that the seller would top up with oil and sell it to someone else.

Haha! Actually the seller has just agreed to refund deposit in full. But the price IS very low: (£750 including tax, 11 months MOT + history... seller is emigrating and needs to sell quickly...) So low that I'm NOW wondering if I've made the right decision to cancel!! Indecisive? Me?!

Edited by cosmicjazzer on 04/02/2011 at 12:57

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - bathtub tom

If it sounds too good to be true..............................

Are you prepared to risk your money on a car that may need a new engine, but then again may not?

I'd walk away from that one, it clearly demonstrates the level of care that's been given to it.

Well, at least an incompetent owner can't pull a fast one on you-unless it's a double bluff!!

But it's not that far below parker's price. Biggish petrol engined cars are very cheap at the moment-high fuel prices is a great time to buy a large petrol engined car.

That said, if the worst came to the worst, can you afford to source and fit a second hand engine? Buying a 10 year old car is a bit of a gamble-but engine damage is always expensive to correct.

Toyota Avensis GS 1.8 VVT-i - No oil on dipstick... mistake to purchase? - jc2

You'd have bought it if he topped up the oil seconds before you got there!