can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - danh

i bumped a parked car in a shopping centre car park.i had a look but couldnt see any damage to other car but was dark and lighting wasnt very good.i couldnt leave a note as i had no pen or paper on me and as the car was parked there was no one to give detials to.i waited 15 minutes before deciding to go home.on my way home i thought i had done wrong so reported as an accident to the police and filled in a form.was looking at prevoius threads and see another poster has had similar experience.my concern is can i still get a notice of intended prosecution for failing to stop or for driving with due care

cheers

dan

can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - Peter D

I am always at a loss to understand why a driver does not keep paper and pen/pencil, a small plastic bag to put a note in, if it is raining. An insurance details pack with customised witness forms with pens, so you can hand them out to witnesses if you are involved in an RTA a couple for you to complete if you witness an accident. In addition you should carry a disposable flash camera, replaced every year and a dictaphone, why you ask. You can turn it on and pop it in your pocket and record what is said at the scene, and it would remind you not to say more than is required. i.e. your name, address, insurance company and policy number. You take photo's of the position of the cars, the damage and catch the other owner in a shot. If you don't need any of this, then fantastic. Some mobile phones can provide audio recordings and photo's. Lecture mode 'off'. Regards Peter

can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - LucyBC

On what date did this happen?

can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - Lygonos

I would have thought if you reported it to the Police before they knocked your door then you'd be fine, certainly as you seem to have reported it within a few hours.

can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - Dwight Van Driver

NOIP need not be served in relation to offences immediately before or at the time of a an acciodent........

dvd

dwight van driver are you thinking i could get a nip then even though it was a bump and i reported it

hi it happened on tuesday eve has our police sation was shut at 5pm i reported it the next morning.also after waiting for 10 mins i moved to another parking space as the one i was in where i bumped the car was really tight.what does happen after you fill in report .will the police check cctv of the car park or wait to see if anyone reports thier car being hit

thanks again

can you get a nip for failing to stop at scene - LucyBC
I think you have complied with all the legal requirements. Come back to me if this goes further.

Thanks for all your advice .i reported the accident last wednesday,do you know if it takes long for them to get back even if it just with an incident number or do you think it maybe worth phoning them first

if there is a witness at the accident are you requiered to give them your details or only if they ask for them.as the witness that that may have saw me knock the other car just got in thier car as normal

From the horses mouth (S170 RTA 88)

The driver of the mechanically propelled vehicle must stop and, if required to do so by

any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring,

give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

Argueable if a witness observes and is desirous of wanting details to pass on to the absent driver, driver must give.

dvd

thanks dvd

does that mean if the person(witness) doesnt ask for my detials i dont have to go and say hi here is my details

thanks

...if required to do so.......

dvd

phoned up yesterday to get the police ref number,the way the lady spoke it sounded like she thought i didnt report it within the 24hrs she had the details on her screen.would it look suspect if i phoned back to check they had the right time of the accident

thanks

hi its been 2 months now since this happened the registered owner of the car has had no nip.got a letter to say some weeks after to say no further action.if someone comes forward now would could happen

thanks