Space Saver Spare v. Tyre Weld. - Clear Spot
I view the prospect of having to use the Omega?s space saver spare with some trepidation, and with horror if caught out whilst towing. (we do a fair bit of long distance continental towing). I seem to remember hearing that some new cars don?t bother with a spare at all ? relying on a tube of tyre weld or some such. (some MGs IIRC).
I?m interested in backroomers? opinions / experience ? e.g is tyre weld considered safe? over long distance when towing? does it destroy the tyre? any brand differences etc? (btw I can?t find anything in the archive on this)
CS.
Space Saver Spare v. Tyre Weld. - Tom Shaw
Tyre Weld has it's limitations. If you get sidewall damage or a blowout it is no good, and tyre fitters hate it. Rather than try and clean it off prior to repairing the tyre, they will probably tell you that the tyre is too badly damaged and needs renewing.
Space Saver Spare v. Tyre Weld. - volvod5_dude
Clear Spot

Tyre weld is at best a temporary fix reducing the fixed tyre to a speed limit of 30mph, if indeed TW will fix it. I wouldn't trust it if Iwas towing a caravan. You would be much safer using the spacesaver, but why not invest in a full sized spare IMHO a better and and safer solution in the long run. If space is a problem, simply carry it in the caravan.

Cheers

VD5D.
Space Saver Spare v. Tyre Weld. - Clear Spot
Thanks Tom amd VD5D,
You've convinced me.
>If space is a problem, simply carry it in the caravan.
Weight is then - these are big tyres - 7.5j's - I usually put the caravan spare in the car boot to optimise weight distribution.
CS