BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - HKPI

I hit a parked car, it was totally my fault, whilst parking I thought the car was in reverse and it was in drive, I moved forward quickly at short distance. Totally my fault, I called the insurance immediately. The car was removed immediately and taken to karl Vella in Preston for inspection, the Insurance also told me I would get a courtesy car from them. i got to karl vella and I was informed they had no cars but I should get one the next day, I was ok with this as i wasnt up to driving.

Karl Vella informed me 2 days later my car looked to be a right off and the insurance on the following Monday confirmed this. I still did not receive a car and as the car was written off I would not be getting one.

I asked what to do next and i was told to send in the V5, MOT etc.. which i have it all, i told Allianz that I was not the registered keeper on the V5 however i was the owner, Allianz bluntly told me that as i was not the registered keeper I would not have my claim met and i was to be liable for all storage and recovery costs of my vehicle.

I immediately contacted the FSA and they took my side immediately and wrote them a letter. I paid for my insurance every month without fail, also i took it out through Budgetr Insurance and I wasnt asked about who was the Registered keeper, just who owned it. i have been nothing but honest and cooperative but yet they refuse to pay.

The FSA even told me it seems as though I was mis-sold my insurance and they are moving the goa posts. Now i have been landed with bills from Karl vella, the Transport company and they wont return my vehicle until all is paid. What can I do???

Edited by Avant on 17/04/2011 at 01:12

BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - FP

My sympathy for your predicament.

It would be useful to have some dates, to get some idea of the time scale. You need to have all documentation, especially from Budget, if they are in effect the brokers who sold you the insurance. The case hinges on what you were asked about your status relating to the vehicle when you took out the insurance and what you replied.

It seems to me you need a lawyer to handle all this.

No doubt Lucy will post soon and I suggest you read it carefully.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 31/01/2011 at 12:17

BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - martint123

I guess it is difficult when going through comparison sites, but you have to be careful to read and comply with the ultimate insurers conditions.

Allianz seem to have this pre-requisire for car insurance (amongst others). Do you comply with them?

The car: is owned/ leased by you, your spouse or civil partner and registered by you, your spouse/ civil partner or lease hire company;

BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - LucyBC
Insurance is a contract and comparison sites have compounded the problem of inappropriate cover.

Potentially this is an Ombudsman case as it is arguable you were mis-sold a policy which did not meet your demands and needs.

Can you outline the extent of the damage and costs and why the vehicle did not meet Allianz's (fairly broad) definition in respect of registration and ownership?
BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - bonzo dog

In my experience the FSA are far more interested in intermediaries who fail to complete paperwork & processes rather than investigating actual cases of mis-selling.

In this case the questions I would ask are:

1. Was the OP asked "are you the registered keeper?"
  2. What does the statement of demands & needs say?
  3. What does the Keyfacts statement say in regard to registered keeper

If there is no reference to the status of registered keeper then the insurer is liable (according to my limited understanding of Insurance Law) & if they then want to recover their losses from the broker then that's up to them.

Good luck

BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - .C.H.

I actually work for the company, okay in a completely seperate department but in Insurace all the same and the policies i work with are similar to the others.

my first question is why you were so annoyed about not recieving a Hire Car when declared total loss. Were you paying for that Full Hire Car option in your policy? Core product is an A Class hire car for a period of 4 days if your vehicle is in for repair. Then you are given the option to add and upgrade that service to a 'level 2' so you would recieve a hire car for (in my policies its) 14 days for stolen and 18 days if declared total loss.

We also Specifically ask on our systems in seperate questions 'are you the vehicles registered owner' 'are the you vehicles registered keep' and will be changed accordingly. its down to our underwritting terms if we accept claims if said fields are different.

I also cant put your story together, how old was your vehicle to be able to be declared a total loss from a Prejudical claim when trying to park? Its usually done by percentage of damage to the vehicle (50% in most cases) Or if the damage repair would cost more than the cars worth.

From reading what you've written, you never gave enough details about your actual Claim insident and wanted to jump into slating the company for abiding to its own underwritting critera.

BMW 5 Series - Allianz Insurance wont pay out!! - LucyBC

The OP seems to have disappeared.