Chevrolet Matiz - Unlit Speed Limit Signs - 258brianm

I have been "Flashed" by a fixed speed camera at night at the start of a small town in Northamptonshire. The speed limit signs that were about 400 yards back were not lit nor were there and street lighting making the signs difficult to see in the dark and almost invisible when travelling towards the town if another vehicle is coming towards you. I was slowing because I was entering the built up area but obviously I now realise that I had over-run the point at which the 30 limit started. When returning through the town - in the opposite direction I noticed that the 30 limit signs were lit and easy to see so I slowed down then double checked as to why I had missed the 30 limit signs the first time. Do you feel that I have a case for mitigation? Many Thanks

Chevrolet Matiz - Unlit Speed Limit Signs - bathtub tom

Aren't these signs reflective?

As you were in a higher speed limit area before, didn't you have you headlights on?

I think you might be on a hiding to nothing.

Chevrolet Matiz - Unlit Speed Limit Signs - LucyBC

Signs don't have to be lit.

And indeed there is no need for there to be a sign - there is an automatic 30mph limit if street lights are less than 200yds (183m) apart unless signage says the limit is higher.

Chevrolet Matiz - Unlit Speed Limit Signs - Dwight Van Driver

Traffic Signs and General Directions 2002 Direction 18 deals with the illumination of sign 670 (Speed restriction) and at Schedule 17 (10) only the teminal sign has requirements in relation to illumination.

There is no such requirement in relation to the commencement sign (S17 (11)) apart from the fact that it has to be reflectorised.

Interesting point there Lucy. If the LA have made a Traffic Order (S 82(2)(a) RTRA 84) taking out the restricted road and imposed another limit (S84(1) RTRA 84)then it has to have signs.

dvd

Chevrolet Matiz - Unlit Speed Limit Signs - LucyBC

Interesting point there Lucy. If the LA have made a Traffic Order (S 82(2)(a) RTRA 84) taking out the restricted road and imposed another limit (S84(1) RTRA 84)then it has to have signs.

Good point