BMW 330 - Top band car tax - TTToommy

Had my mid life crisis (well its an excuse :) and bought a 2006 330ci convertible auto - there was a 2005 but the 06 had a few extras (blue tooth, sat-nav/telly) at the same price.as the 05 - car tax hiting the used value of 06s?

I know that by buying the 06 I'll suffer from the £400+ annual tax rather than the £245(?) - BUT does anyone think the Government will hit the "big polluters" by a huge amount over the next few years ?

BMW 330 - Top band car tax - madf

BUT does anyone think the Government will hit the "big polluters" by a huge amount over the next few years ?

Of course. Big car drivers spend loads of money on running cars so the Government reckons they should pay more tax. Easy target.

The trend started with the move to CO2 based taxation in 2005 (? or earlier) so it's unilkely to change in the next 10 years...

Meanwhile the more canny pay £30 or less..

Thanks for paying my share:-)
BMW 330 - Top band car tax - unthrottled
madf. Of course, spending a small fortune on a brand new turbo diesel to save fifty quid on road tax makes perfect financial sense?! ;)

Meanwhile, I'll stump up my £190 tax bill on the old banger. Lack of depreciation more than offsets any tax/fuel savings. The cheapest car to run is usually the one already sitting on your drive!
BMW 330 - Top band car tax - madf

madf. Of course, spending a small fortune on a brand new turbo diesel to save fifty quid on road tax makes perfect financial sense?! ;)

No of course not. I let other fools do it and bought my Yaris diesel 3 years old with 23k miles for half new price..

Still going strong...£30 tax and 57mpg...Edit and £1500 depreciation spread over 5 years...(when I bought it, small diesels were largely unwanted and unloved)

I'm not made of mone y.. :-(

Edited by madf on 25/01/2011 at 14:47

Who knows? Road tax is a silly tax anyway, since it unfairly penalises low annual mileage cars and fosters a 'cheaper by the dozen' mentality-so the government will probably jump at it!

Seriously though, if you add up the annual cost of running the car, depreciation, fuel, servicing, tyres, insurance etc., the car is not going to be cheap to run. A few quid on the road tax isn't going to significantly alter this equation-even if it is the most misguided tax ever divised.

BMW 330 - Top band car tax - gordonbennet
A few quid on the road tax isn't going to significantly alter this equation-even if it is the most misguided tax ever divised.}}}

Agreed but as the VED of £425 steadily rises, it's bound to have a steepening effect on the depreciation curve as the car ages.

Having a justifiable distrust of every politician still alive i wouldn't buy a car that falls into their highest tax bands for them to play extortion with as and when they see fit.
True. But why run a luxury car and then start fretting about the pennies (ok pounds)? I've just seen a lot of people rush to sell their petrol car and buy a brand new diesel. Of course, they never see anywhere near the claimed mileage (short journeys), but they think they've beaten the system because the tax disk is cheap. But the overall economics is madness.

Ditto politicians!