Peugeot 306 - 1997 - Inspecting Exhaust - ah207

The exhaust system has developed a squeaky clatter - especially when moving from a stationary position. At speed the squeak disappears. When I grab the end of the exhaust pipe at the back of the car and shake it, the squaking is more obvious. I would like to be able to look underneath to see whether the problems is with the hangers, or clamps, or other damage/wear and tear - before deciding on course of action. Question I'd like to ask is - is it SAFE and worth my while jacking up the car on its side (using two jacks) to inspect underneath - or shall I just take it to the nearest garage - and fork out ? Any advice welcome! :-)

Thanks in adavnce!

Peugeot 306 - 1997 - Inspecting Exhaust - bathtub tom

If you're sure of what you're doing, then go ahead, but what will you do to rectify the squeak?

I suggest you may be better off leaving it to the experts.

Peugeot 306 - 1997 - Inspecting Exhaust - ah207

If you're sure of what you're doing, then go ahead, but what will you do to rectify the squeak?

I suggest you may be better off leaving it to the experts.

Thanks. To be honest, unless its something simple like a loose fixing, or some other loose bit that I can re-position, there is not much I can do to fix the squeak. But if and when I do take it to the garage, I just need to be sure that I understand the problem first so that when I get the quote, I'll know what it means. You know the old saying about a fool and his money being soon parted ? I'm afraid I've played the fool on too many occasions when it comes this Peugeot - including inadvertantly agreeing to have all spark plugs and oil changed just 6 months from the last change!! I live in Portugal - and even though my wife is Portuguese and can help me out with the language, when we are quoted a figure for service/repair, we often just end up looking at each other with a blank expression and saying "yes, I suppose we should have all this done if the mechanic says so." But that has to stop now as we have a bought a near new VW Golf - so we need to cut our losses with the Peugeot. Will let it go while it still has some value. The sooner, the better - before the next expensive bill!