Honda Concerto 1991 1.5i - Cutting out, won't start - victor2

My Honda Concerto 1.5i 74,000m 1991 started running roughly about two days ago. Air conditions were dry. It has worsened today and won't start.

It has been running perfectly for the last two years.

It feels like an ignition problem as it cuts out and misses a beat suddenly.

I'm thinking it might be the ignition igniter - as I had a similar problem with my Rover 216 GSi 1992 - although that did not gradually deteriorate but one day just stopped.

I have a spare ignition igniter for a Rover 216 1992 - Do you think it would fit the Concerto 1.5i?

One other thing to throw in the mix - it was hit from behind 2 months ago - but has been running well until two days ago - inertia switchproblem?

Many thanks

Honda Concerto 1991 1.5i - Cutting out, won't start - victor2

All done,

I found a site on the web that said the ignition igniters are interchangeable.

I couldn't ascertain whether there was a spark or not because it was an intermittent problem.

Lifting up the carpet and looking at the ECU - after switching on the ignition - look through the viewing glass - only one flash - so no fault codes

I decided to take a chance and change it. 3 bolts around the distributor - take care not to strip threads WD-40.

Cap off - it was unbelievably dirty - may have contributed - I cleaned it and scraped the terminals carefully.

Ignition igniter is the small box with four wires coming out of it . Make a note of the wires - use a professional rubber handled screwdriver to avoid stripping the threads - WD-40 - remove the two retaining screws and the small screw holding the wires.

The old unit was an OKI - the one I replaced it with I think was a redesigned one by HITACHI - as this one was fitted by a Rover dealer from a previous car - hopefully this one won't break down.

Clean out the distributor with a brush and blow dirt out - reassemble and bingo - good as new.

A week before I noticed the fuel consumption drop by 10 mpg from the usual 38-39 around town, I put it down to the cold weather. It is much smoother now, so It was running roughly for a while. So symptoms are rough running , then missing beats, then cutting out then non start.

Hope this helps someone else - job took about 30-40mins