Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - monty57

I enjoy reading HJ's reviews of cars which are comprehensive. I've been thinking of buying a diesel although my annual mileage does not justify it but i enjoy the power delivery. However I am put off by the problems logged with DPF, DMF, blown turbos, injector issues etc. and going for the prestige German marques or Japanese does not make for any better reading! Is it the case that many people have relatively little problems and those who do make a song and dance about it? Indeed even many petrol cars seem to have issues! I must say I have thought about going for a particular vehicle (not brand new and therefore out of manufacturer's warranty) and have decided against it based on HJ's reviews!

Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - Collos25

There are thousands upon thousands of people in this world who run their cars to megga milage without any bother whatsoever,when you consider how many cars there are in the world some are bound to go wrong sometimes .With proper service and care the majority of cars will give a trouble free life.

Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - TheOilBurner

Warranty data I saw recently (sorry, don't have the link) suggested about 1-2% of cars have problems with DPFs and around 3% with injectors and a similar number for turbos.

Given that around half of new cars are turbo diesels with DPFs, that doesn't sound so bad to me.

Bad news if you are in the minority though! I have a friend with a Toyota Verso 2.2 D4D, it's needed 4 new injectors (under warranty), a new ECU (paid for by Toyota, goodwill) and now the warranty has long expired the head gasket has failed... Bill could be anything from £2k to £7k to fix...

They're beginning to wonder if the petrol version might have made more sense!

No problems with their DPF, DMF or turbo...at least not yet... :)

Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - Dutchie
There is a danger if you read all the negative reports about diesels or any goods on the internet you wouldn't buy anything.Regular servicing good quality fuel and once in a while a italian tune up (good run) it should be ok touch wood.:)
Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - injection doc

I have had countless diesels, and never experinced Injector or EGR or DMF or DPMF or turbo issues with any of them and was doing in excess of 70k a year! Always used non supermarket fuel, plenty of oil changes and varied my driving. treated with respect when cold or hot. Its the Mazda 6 diesel seems to be the one to avoid at present! whatever the car they are all nuts and bolts and will always go wrong and will allways cost money eventually and it has to be accepted.You will always find someones had a bad experince with any make of car you buy.

I was in the Euro tunnel last year when the car in front was a brandnew ferrari which wouldn't start when we arrived in calais. he was more redfaced than the car! How much did he pay for that I wonder? and it still goes wrong

Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - Dutchie
I would have had a red face driving a Ferrari,not starting after a short stop.Takes me back as a lad in Rotterdam neighbour used to start his car with a starting handle handy as a spare.:)
Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - woodster

The Verso use has had faults with parts that are common to both types of engine. (injectors, ECU and head gasket) Nothing in that particular catalogue of faults to help choose between petrol/diesel.

Diesel Cars - HJ's Car Reviews - Steven Quas

From the experience of people I know, I would say that there are more failures in recent turbo cars where they have extracted far more hp than they used to. For example, the current BMW 320d is as powerful than the 330d from a few (7-8) years ago. While the old 330d could often manage 400,000km, the newer 320d will quite often blow a turbo in half that.

Company drivers don't mind as they dispose of the car by 100,000km and they benefit from low CO2/km figures and low tax, but private buyers who keep cars longer may find it an expensive choice.

Steven Quas , Hamburg