Best new car for rear passengers? - Billy Whizz

Greetings all,

the MD has to change his company 2006 Volvo S80 2.5T auto for a new car and can spend 32k on a new one.

His requirements are:

• petrol only,
  • mostly city driving,
  • excellent rear seat space and comfort (as this is where he sits!),
  • prestige marque.

All other cost considerations are irrelevant.

What would you recommend and why?

Best new car for rear passengers? - PatrickO

The new shape BMW 523i is £32,700 on the road. Look very smart, not sure about the room in the back. Mercedes E class is £28,915, don't know if that's for the petrol or diesel.

Edited by PatrickO on 11/01/2011 at 13:01

Best new car for rear passengers? - AlleyCat`

If it doesn't have to be brand new (but say a year old) i'd have said a VW Phaeton.

Lacks image (hence it depreciates like a stone) but i doubt you'd get a better prestige car for the money.

If brand new then BMW 5 series or E Class are about the only ones i could see other than another S80?

As to they why. Everything else lacks the "image" or is too expensive.

Edited by AlleyCat` on 11/01/2011 at 13:13

Thanks for the input. The car must be new :-(

The BMW looks as if it might be over-budget once a few options have been added but it is now on the shortlist.

The Merc is not on the list - he doesn't like them (even though he probably hasn't even been in one of the latest E-classes). Shame as it is probably the best one and the E200 CGI BlueEFF. SE looks keenly priced.

Also, the Audi A6 is on the list with the S80 and how about the new Saab 9-5?

Audi A6 is £34,355. These are the recommended prices quoted on the manufacturer's web sites so you may be able to get a better deal.

Good call, PatrickO. I was using prices of the current and thus soon-to-be-phased-out model. Would not have gone down well :-)

Best new car for rear passengers? - Avant

He needs to test them out, or at least sit in them, to make sure he's comfortable: the shape of the seats is as important as the amount of room.

If he doesn't want a German taxi, then it's probably between another S80, a 5-series, an A6 or a Jaguar XF. Lexuses are probably either too small or too expensive, as are Infinitis.

Best new car for rear passengers? - oldtoffee

Subaru Outback, BIG, BIG rear legroom, reclining rear seats, neither flash nor common. Be gone before anyone knows what it was!

Best new car for rear passengers? - Steven Quas

I think the Mercedes E Class is probably the best normal price car as a rear seat passenger, with the S Class the very best but that's above his price range. Here the E Class is very widely used for taxis and I have yet to find a more comfortable car as a passenger. BMW and Audi are a little less comfortable due mostly to firmer suspension.

Steven Quas , Hamburg

(Audi A6 driver)

Best new car for rear passengers? - tyro

What Car? Mag tested the A6, the 5 series, the E-Class and the Saab 9-5 in Oct 2010.

They reckoned that the Merc was best for rear space - 73 cm legroom and 93 cm headroom.

Saab was easily the best for legroom (78 cm) but worst for headroom (88 cm) because of the low roof. BMW was 72 & 90, Audi was 72 & 89.

The Feb 2011 issue tested the BMW 5 series against the Infiniti M30 and gave the figures for the latter as 74 & 90.

Best new car for rear passengers? - AlleyCat`

I know it lacks the Image but the Skoda Superb would also be worth a look.

You'd get a lot for the money and TG rated it as their executive car of the year.

@Avant - you're spot on, although the Jag is out, "sounds too extravagant".

@Oldtoffee - we've a Legacy station wagon for the office car and the wife has a Forester but the Subaru name not prestige enough for the MD.

@Steven Quas - thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Although the Merc seems best car it is "too taxi".

@tyro - I assume the What car test in October 2010 was for the old A6, because there is no review of any kind of the new A6 on their website. Only HJ has any kind of in-depth review of the new A6 I can find at the mo.

Figures for rear headroom and legroom are available on the Whatcar website but are conflicting. For example, if you look at the Performance and Measurements for the Volvo S80 Saloon 2.5T SE 4dr you will see the figure of 93 for rear headroom in the pictogram but 973mm in the text. Rear knee room is 74 in the pictogram and 890 in the text.

The MD is quite tall so this will be a crucial issue. HJ says in his review of the Saab: "It's very spacious though and nowhere is this more evident than in the back. Compared to the previous 9-5, this model has a longer wheelbase which means an extra 58mm of legroom added on to what was already a generous space. Even with the front seats slid all the way back, there's still masses of legroom for people sitting in the back plus impressive headroom."

@AlleyCat - unfortunately I think he wouldn't be seen dead in a Skoda, although I think they are great cars.

FYI, his private car is a newish Saab 9-5 stationwagon.

Yes, it was the old A6. What Car? had not yet driven the new A6 (as far as I can see) when the Feb 2011 came out. (The next issue comes out this week, and it is possible that it will feature a comparative test of the new A6 and its rivals - but I suspect we'll have to wait.)

"Figures for rear headroom and legroom are available on the Whatcar website but are conflicting."

I'm not surprised. I tend to take the view that in a comparative test, they probably hold the tape measure the same way for all cars. But I'm not sure that I'd trust them to hold it the same way in two different tests done in different months. And, like the rest of us, they are not immune to typos.

When we were looking at cars recently, we took our own tape measure to the showrooms and did our own measurements.

Best new car for rear passengers? - cilvilservant

Is rear leg space a definite "must have"? I ask as if he's being chauffeured, he can sit behind the front passenger seat that can be set as far forward as possible (if no-one else is sat there).

Best new car for rear passengers? - quizman
Only one suitable car and that's a Rolls Royce like Lord Siralan Sugar goes around London in. There appears to be plenty of room in the back, even though his Lordship is quite small.
The only problem is RR is owned by some German company, but does this matter these days?
Best new car for rear passengers? - TeeCee

>The MD is quite tall so this will be a crucial issue.

Hmm, I was in an "E" class taxi in Stockholm a few weeks ago and my head was bouncing off the roof (unlike the there more common Saab 9-5) and I'm only a tad over 6 foot! Dunno what What Car are using as a measure, but it must have shorter cm on it if the earlier post is anything to go by. That or they've taken Merc's marketing cobblers at face value.....

The new shape Saab 95 is pretty much smack on £32k for the base manual and they do look well.

Best new car for rear passengers? - Boulder2k9

@Billy Whizz

When I first read this post the first car that popped into my head was a Citroen C6. Why? They are supremely comfortable with that excellent suspension, classy, large rear quarters and a supremely swift diesel engine( 2.7 HDI). I understand that you asked for a petrol but this is also the same engine as the Jag XF. Should be more economical than a petrol 5 Series too.

Best of luck.

I hope the MD is an avid reader and always travels with a good book - to choose a Citroen C6 he would have to enjoy spending time on the hard shoulder. The various customer satisfaction and reliability surveys consistently place Citroen at the bottom of the table along with Peugeot, Fiat, Jeep, Renault.... These cars tend to be built with components that are designed to last for a minimum of 3 years, whereas German and Japanese manufacturers tend to specify 10 year minimum component life.

Steven Quas , Hamburg

I know what you mean, Steven, but I think you have slightly overstated your case.

Citroen are consistently below average in these surveys, but they are not consistently at the bottom. They sometimes do reasonably well compared to some German and Japanese manufacturers.

To take three examples from respected surveys in the UK:

JD Power customer satisfaction survey 2010 - Citroen placed 18th out of 27. Suzuki, a Japanese manufacturer, placed 25th.

Which? Car satisfaction survey 2010 - Citroen placed 23rd out of 37, on 80%. Nissan was also on 80%, Mitsubishi was on 78%.

Which? Car reliability survey 2010 - Citroen placed 19th out of 34. Nissan were 17th, Porsche 18th, Volkswagen 20th, Audi 23rd, Smart 25th.

And if we are including Scandanavian manufacturers like Saab and Volvo, both came below Citroen in the Which? Car reliability survey 2010.

There are some surprising results there tyro.

"Which? Car satisfaction survey 2010 - Citroen placed 23rd out of 37, on 80%. Nissan was also on 80%, Mitsubishi was on 78%."

It's worth pointing out that Nissan is now owned by Renault and they have gone down the route of lowering component quality since the takeover. Mitsubishi are a bit of an exception too since they have close links with Fiat (amongst others), sharing some parts with them and building quite a few cars for the European market in Italy.

Apart from that, I am surprised to see that Citroen seem to have improved. It wasn't long ago that they were firmly in the bottom quarter of the table.

I still stand by my suggestion of an E Class and think Mercedes are generally on the way back up (4th out of 27 JD Power 2010)

Steven

Yes, some very surprising results. I have no idea, for example, why Citroen seems to have done considerably better than Peugeot in these surveys.

The surveys do indeed suggest that Mercedes has improved considerably and are probably now the best European manufacturer in terms of reliability - just as they were in the days of old.

Edited by tyro on 15/01/2011 at 23:36

tyro - I'll be interested to see if this is a blip or a genuine improvement from Citroen. They are a very innovative car company and I really like some of their designs, but I would want more proof that they have changed their ways to consider buying one of their cars. It is odd the difference wth Peugeot, as you say, given how many components they share. Maybe in 10 years' time Citroen will be up there with Honda / Toyota / Lexus / BMW / Mercedes / Audi / Jaguar? My money is on them being back at the bottom though - old habits....

Steven

Best new car for rear passengers? - veryoldbear

City driving with a chauffeur? The guy must be a banker. Best thing is to take a taxi, or if you really love your shareholders, go by tube. Bah humbug ....

Best new car for rear passengers? - Janpan

'wouldn't be seen dead in a Skoda'. Perhaps the MD ought to consider conserving his profits in these belt tightening days and be more self confident and less status obsessed in a car that has brilliant space and a very comfortable ride for the back seat passenger.

Best new car for rear passengers? - Buster Cambelt

I am the MD of a company and decided to put some of the company's profits into a Skoda last year. It's probably the biggest commercial mistake we made last year.

Our customers refer to 'Skoda Days' when I'm not working (they used to be 'golf days' - the sport not the car). It's not a status thing, we'll never buy Skoda again because the product and the backup are simply not good enough.

Best new car for rear passengers? - concrete

Hi Billy Whiz, Last year I picked up 2 visitors from Sweden at the airport late at night. Their luggage sailed into the boot with ease. They both got into the rear and settled down. On the journey they commented on how nice the car was, how there was so much room in the rear for two men both of whom are over 6'4" and a good 18 stones each. They praised the leather seats and loved that they were heated and the all round comfort. Next morning when I picked them up to take them to our office they nearly fell over when they discovered they had been heaping praise on a Skoda Superb 1.9tdi Elegance. More room in the rear than an S class Mercedes, over 50mpg and every extra including satnav, cruise control, climate control, heated leather seats front and rear, multi stacking cd/radio system, xenon headlights with washers, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto windscreen wipers, folding heated door mirrors the list is enormous. All these so called 'extras' on a 'prestige' car would cost as much as basic Skoda car. Blindfold your boss and take him on a test drive, if he is not impressed then there is no hope for him. However, him being a badge snob does make it easier for normal folk like me to be able to buy a good Skoda at an affordable price, so on second thought don't show him a Skoda in case he wants one, and he doesn't really deserve one after all. Concrete

Best new car for rear passengers? - unthrottled

These questions are really designed to reinforce a premeditated decision rather than an open enquiry.

Got to agree with you on the superb-although it's aesthetics leave something to be desired-guess VAG had to give VW/Audi some form of marketing advantage!

Amazing how someone who is concerned with rear passenge comfort will gravitate towards a rear drive car with a longitudinally mounted engine. Whatever the merits of that layout-cabin space is not one them...

Thanks for all your input everyone.

He has decided to go for another Volvo. It's front wheel drive (so no propshaft tunnel in rear floor), well appointed and good value for money.

The other prestige models were over budget and the Fords etc couldn't match the Volvo for quality. Second choice was the Saab but it was too expensive in the spec he wanted.