Ford Fiesta MK2 - Can I charge my car battery with a smaller charger - jt7747

My Fiesta MK2 (1988) was attacked last night - the door was prised upon and someone used the WD40 that I left inside to set the thing alight. One seat burned through, and all the roof cladding is ruined. The fire service sprayed a bit of water around (I found it an hour or so after the fire had gone out) and during the night the battery has drained.

I think its salvageable. The passenger seat will slot nicely into the driver's side. Needs a new seatbelt, and the roof is now bare, but the mechanical stuff is fine as far as I can tell. Luckily the fire just burned itself out before the rest of the upholstery too hold. There was a full tank of fuel, so could have been much worse.

I was a fool not to disconnect the battery overnight, after having checked that the engine was fine. I have taken the battery (a few months old) inside the house and I'm wondering if I can charge it.

I have a smallish 12V battery that I used to use with an inverter for busking. It's a powersonic PS-12180 B, 12 V, 18 Amp hour. It's charged by a smallish Yuasa charger, model YCPX4A12, output 14.7V - 4A

Can I give my depleted car battery (GBA3085 - EN 380, A/hr 45, R/C 68) a bit of a charge using the small yuasa charger? Or is it only safe to charge car batteries with a chunky car battery charger, the likes of which cost £30 to £40?

I am keen to charge my car battery enough that I can get the engine started. Then I can use the multimeter to check if there's a short circuit or some kind of current leak when the ignition is off. Normally the clock is the only thing that draws any current when the ignition is off. I'm hoping once the car has dried out the electrical problem will have gone away. If not, I'm happy to build some kind of immobiliser switch to the battery so that I can turn disconnect it when not in use. There is no radio or engine code to worry about, and aside from the clock losing time there's really no problem disconnecting the battery every time. But it would be nice if there was no short circuit

Either way, can I give my battery a bit of a charge using the little charger, or is it plain stupid? Thank you so much, John

Ford Fiesta MK2 - Can I charge my car battery with a smaller charger - Cymrogwyllt

I've charged my starter/charger with the supplied charger that is rated at far less current output than the Yuasa one. Just takes longer. The voltage is suitable.

Take great care if planning to use the car as there are many very, very, nasty chemicals produced when a modern car burns. Efects can be from carcinogens to corrosives for a start. Personally I'd not even try to use it and see what your insurer has to say.

As the car is a 1988 it is probably worth less than a few pints of beer. Is it worth risking your future health for so little?

At that age and value the insurance is probably TPFT so the best route is to try and sell the undamaged bits you can and scrap the rest. Given the current price of scrap metal (no offence intended) you may be financialy better off by seling it to a scrappy and starting again without involving the insurer

Edited by Cymrogwyllt on 08/01/2011 at 19:08

Thanks for the reply.

I put some pictures here to give you a better idea

http://picasaweb.google.com/fiestaman228/Fiesta#

I scraped all the crap off the inside of the roof. It's now just a sheet of metal.

My main concern is that to replace the car would cost an awful lot more than it's worth. It's only got 68k miles on the clock, and is a great little runner. March MOT, needs new exhaust.

Any more thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Ford Fiesta MK2 - Can I charge my car battery with a smaller charger - Cymrogwyllt

Pics help a lot. Cheapest get around a toss up between a new seat from a scrappie (best) or a seat cover. Personally I'd go for the scrappie route and damn the colour. Put up with the noise due to the loss of the headlining. Done the damage there anyway

Thanks. I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow in the daylight. I've had an electric heater on all day and I think it's nice and dry. I'll brush out some of the crap, then get the hoover onto it, and then take some snappy snaps.

I don't know what the law is about seats in cars. Is it OK to drive around with the passenger seat missing? The passenger seat is fine, a bit smelly, it's currently airing on my balcony. I will probably just put some kind of sheet on it, and bolt it into the drivers side. The fittings are identical on each side so it should slot in just fine. I took the runners off the burnt seat just in case there's a problem.

IT will need a new seatbelt fitted, drivers side. Burned through. Not sure if passenger's side seatbelt will need redoing if there's no seat there. But I'd be keen to know the MOT rules because it would be easy to MOT it with no seat and then install a dodgy one, so perhaps they're wary of that.

The other problem is that dashboard perspex window has turned opaque, so I can't see the speedo and other dials. I guess that could just be ripped out, doesn't seem worth replacing.

Will I be able to talk frankly with the insurance company, or will they insist of writing off the vehicle regardless of my future intentions? I've never had to make a claim before, but I'm slightly concerned that if I decided to keep driving it they might say that the car should be off the road. Am I legally bound to report fire damage?

As for value of parts, that's an interesting question. There's a one year old Weber carb in there to replace the VV, the battery is one month old, the wheels/tyres are in pretty good nick. Exhaust is, well, rather short. I don't know what parts are valuable. Most of the panels have rust.

OK this sounds like a terrible car, but it was clean, well looked after, drove well, and, well, I loved it. I wish it hadn't been needlessly vandalised in this way. There's a chance that the next MOT (mid march) would reveal uneconomic repairs and that I'd have to get rid of it. That would be sad as well, but having a half burned out car is just sad.

The battery is trickle charging and hopefully it will turn over tomorrow. Either that or something stupendously wrong has taken out the starter motor. We'll see.

Sorry for all the questions. I hope topost some more pics tomorrow. Thanks

Charger did the job, car fired up instantly today.

Tried to measure the current with the ignition off, I only have a cheapo multimeter which read 0.1 A. Dunno how much current the teeny tiny clock draws, but to be safe I'll keep the battery disconnected when the vehicle's not in use. Tempted to build a simple in line switch and see if I can hide in somewhere. Bit of a pain to undo the battery terminal, not to mention the wear and tear on the bonnet catch.

Will call my trusty mechanic tomorrow to get his thoughts.

Ford Fiesta MK2 - Can I charge my car battery with a smaller charger - Chris M

Personally, I wouldn't tell your insurer. I take it you are fairly young and any adverse claims history will cost you more than the car is worth.

I will consult my trusty mechanic before the insurer. But am I able to discuss the issue with the insurer without fear of them doing a compulsary write off? I wouldn't want a potential future claim (say I cause a crash) to be invalidated by my failure to declare the fire damage at present.

I am late 20s, with four years NCB. The way it's looking I don't fancy making a claim, I don't think there's any need

More recent pics here: picasaweb.google.com/fiestaman228/FiestaStage2#

Should give you a good idea of where things are. Needs new seatbelt.

Ford Fiesta MK2 - Can I charge my car battery with a smaller charger - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Having replaced the interior on a Metro that was fire damaged (considerably worse than yours) it is a big job. Here's my suggestions. Get some scouring pads and rub down the roof inside then just get the cheapest white aerosol and spray it. this locks in the burnt smell and replaces it with a freshly painted smell. When at the scrappies getting a seat, you can probably extract a headliner too for next to nothing. Get some 'T' cut and polish the exposed inrerior white paint. Its amazing how well it will polish the stains off. If you have any blackening on the glass, use Cilit Bang ( BANG and the dirt is gone). On your instrument plastic use metal polish like Duraglit. Will clean it without scratching.

Hop this helps

Robin the Technician

Thanks Robin, that's helpful of you.

I don't care in the least about how it looks. I'll happily take a wire scrubber to any part that needs scrubbing, it's not like I'm ever going to sell the motor is it!?!

I'm happy not to replace the passenger seat, from what I've read if it's not there the MOT man can't fail it. That probably means removing the passenger seatbelt too.

We'll see how important the roof insulation is. I don't do long distances so the sound issue isn't important. But condensation during winter/indeed any time of the year could be annoying.Especially if that condensation is infused with nasty dissolved bits of fire goo. I like the idea of a bit of white paint. I'll scrub it down first then give it a go.

A bit of duct tape on the small paint blisters should buy me another year.

Cheers