Peugeot 306 - 1998 306 dturbo serious misfire and smoke - selectcase

Hi All

I was wandering if anyone could offer any advice on my 306 turbo diesel. basically a couple of weeks ago i was letting it warm up on tickover when it started to misfire and produce lots of black/blue smoke - i stopped it and re started it and all was fine. I put it doen to the cold weather. then after this a couple of times whilst driving it it would suddenly start to misss badly, smoke with unburnt fuel and lose power - stopping the engine and restarting would cure this. I then replaced the fuel filter a week ago and we have done about 100 miles since with no problem so i was hoping this might be the cause however whilst my wife was doing the school run today it happened again and she managed to limp it home. now its really difficult to start and you need to floor the throttle - if it starts it will run absolutley fine for about 3 seconds then start to chugg, refuse to rev and produce the smoke again with the engine stopping after a few seconds. there is lots of grey soot on the floor by the tailpie so i think its getting the fuel ok.

i have re-bled the system and checks for fuel leaks and this appears to be ok i thought it might be a blown turbo? or perhaps a dodgy fuel injection pump? I keep the car well serviced and its done 160k

any advice on where to start would be welcome

thanks

will

Edited by selectcase on 07/01/2011 at 00:38

Peugeot 306 - 1998 306 dturbo serious misfire and smoke - Peter.N.

Hi Will

It still sounds as though you have air ingress to the fuel system, changing the fuel filter was the right thing to do as any restriction in the fuel supply will cause it to suck air. Your best way forward would be to fit a length of clear plastic tubing in the fuel line as close to the pump intake and look for bubles.

The other possibility is an obstruction in the air intake, unlikely to be caused by the turbo, try disconnecting the air intake pipe from the manifold and see if it runs OK, if so check the air filter and associated piping.

Peter

Peugeot 306 - 1998 306 dturbo serious misfire and smoke - Peter D

this could be a blocked hydraulic cam follower then is not emptying thus jack a valve open thus the smoke as the compression will not be high engine to ignite the fuel that was injected. You could try and engine flush oil but they can do more harm then good as they loosen all sorts of accumulated engine debris. If you stop the engine the oil seeps out and it then works for a while. Regards Peter

Peugeot 306 - 1998 306 dturbo serious misfire and smoke - selectcase

thanks for the advice

there is a clear pipe between the fuel filter and injection pump and i cant see any bubbles so i will check the induction system

cheers

will