VW mk2 Golf 1300 transistorized ignition - VW MK2 Golf chugs to a halt. - golf-driver

I have a VW mk2 Golf 1300 with transistorized ignition and 2E3 carb. Sometimes after driving at 60 mph then slowing down to 20 mph the engine will become very hesitant and power is reduced, eventually there is no response from the accelerator and the engine will chug to holt and then off. The engine does not re-start strait away. I have to wait 2 minutes say before the engine can be restarted, then all is normal again.

Also in general the engine will sometimes hesitate, especially when pulling away.

When at home I removed the vacuum pipe connected to the distributer vacuum advance unit, I drove a few miles and was able to replicate the problem of the engine being hesitant with reduced power. But there was still a vacuum coming from the removed pipe when I put my finger on it (no throttle apllied).

The hesitant and chugging symptom was not really a spark plug misfiring as I removed a plug connector and the misfiring sound here was different.

The fuel filter is fairly new and the fuel pump was replaced, this did not solve the problem. All ht leads appear in good condition.

VW mk2 Golf 1300 transistorized ignition - VW MK2 Golf chugs to a halt. - Peter D

If your car has a manifold heater known as a hedgehog, then check the power feed to it and the earth lead from the carb to the body. Regards Peter

VW mk2 Golf 1300 transistorized ignition - VW MK2 Golf chugs to a halt. - injection doc

There is also a Stat in the air box to divert hot air off the exhaust manifold to the air intake, you need to make sure this is working and drawing hot air & the hot air pick up pipe is in tact.

I suspect with the symptons you discribe the carb is freezing and when it stops for 2 mins it de-ices. used to be a very common problem with these.

VW mk2 Golf 1300 transistorized ignition - VW MK2 Golf chugs to a halt. - golf-driver

The latest is that when travelling at 60 mph after a while suddenly the throttle hardly responds, then there is no throttle response at all so the vehicle will freewheel to a halt with the engine still idling. Basically then as the engine gets warm something prevents the throttle mechanism from working?

VW mk2 Golf 1300 transistorized ignition - VW MK2 Golf chugs to a halt. - Peter D

You appear to be describing a freezing carb. Have you checked tiops already given to you. ?? Regards Peter

Problem solved, the fault was a leaking hole in the vacuum hose so I replaced it. So you're right the carb was freezing.