Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - carhelp44

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2006 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI at auction (hindsight is a wonderful thing) and now when I start it up there is a loud constant beep sound being omitted from the dash which lasts approx 5 seconds (the beep sounds similar to the kind of beep you would get if you left the lights on and opened the door on most cars) . This beep then omitts exactly every minute, this beep occurs when you have turned the key but not started the engine or with the engine running.

Also coincidently there is no sound when you have the lights turned on and open the door (just incase this bares any relevance, both main beam bulbs are out and I have changed the fuses, am hoping that it's just the bulbs!!)

I am hoping someone may have come across this problem before or could help me troubleshoot it, obviously I made a mistake buying the car at auction but I need to get it operating properly as it's for my wife to use and we have just had a baby so she needs it to get around

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance

Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - injection doc

has yours got a menu on the dash where you can change the beep settings.

Normally if you hold the menu stalk in for 5 sec's without the engine running some menu options should appear.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I've just checked the menu options and the only thing that relates to any beeps are the message chimes which I have checked are turned off. Coincidently it's the same beep noise you get when you select the message chimes on/off but it lasts for 5 seconds.

Thanks again

Edited by carhelp44 on 29/12/2010 at 15:49

Just to say there are no warning lights on the dashboard, all of the lights appear to be working when turning the key so I can only assume there are no lights out and I have disconnected the battery for several hours but still the same.

Also when I drove the car it seemed to be in limp mode and would not rev above 2500rpm, I am assuming this is connected the beep but there are no visual warnings like engine management light or DFP light.

Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - injection doc

I would suggest a diagnostic check next, do you know whether all the warning bulbs work or whether one has been disconnected in the past ?

You can put the stalk into test mode by holding in untill the word test comes up & then scroll through dial test, then bulb test & it should light up every bulb on the dash.

Hi, thanks once again for the help. I've tried to put it into test mode but there doesn't appear to be an option for this. I have held the set/reset button for approx 5 mins with the engine on and off and tried the reset options but it only brings up the steering setup, message chimes, language and units of measure nothing else!!

I checked the lights that appear when you turn the key before turning the engine on and there are two which I'm sure should be on everytime before the engine kicks in and they go out and that's the beltminder warning light and the air bag/seat belt pretensioner warning light......could this be the cause of the beep alarm??

I've got it booked in for a service next week but was hoping that I might have some idea of the problem by then so that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg getting a garage to try and fathom what's wrong!!

Thanks again

Just had the car back from the garage and alas they were unable to fix the beep. They fixed all the other probs it had but said that they had tried everything, and had isolated every possible component and ran diagnostic tests but nothing came up. Can't fault the garage they were first class and they didn't charge me for it either possibly because all the other parts needed had racked up a fair bit so they probably felt sorry for me. Just annoying as I wanted to get the car sorted for the wife and baby to have a nice reliable car! They've suggested taking it to local Ford dealer to see if they have come across the fault so will have to try that.

Thanks for the reply posts and if I ever find out what it is that's caused it I'll make sure I post it

Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - whitevanman1001

hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as my focus has just started to do exactly the same thing

Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - Reg12345

In case this applies to anyone else...

I had no idea what was causing 5 beeps in a 2005 Focus. I found lots of suggestions..SRS module, broken circuits under the passenger seat, instrument cluster lights, pressure sensor rezeroing... nuts.

I ended up buying a bluetooth code reader, a nice toy to have, and it wasn't pulling any relevant codes.

Finally, after I don't know how long, I tried buckling my seat belt before turning on the ignition. I never do things in that order. I usually get in the car, put in the keys, and crank the engine. It wouldn't make sense to put in the keys, let go of them to buckle up, and then go back to crank the engine. If I hadn't been fiddling with things, I never would have tried this, but I did, from the passenger seat actually, AND THERE WERE NO BEEPS!!!!!!!! grrr. I was sitting there in the passenger seat, with my seatbelt on and fuming. It couldn't be that stupid.

Just to double check, I got out, went around to the driver's seat, sat down, closed the door, and buckled up. I cranked the engine, and again, NO BEEPS!!!!!

Don't you think it would be nice to include this in the #@$$%ing manual???? No, it just says, "A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat periodically until the problem and warning light are repaired"

Note - buckling your seatbelt "repairs" the warning light.

Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - Lucas Dangas
Did u find out what problem was?
Ford Focus - 2006 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI - 5 SECOND BEEP HELP!! - Oli rag
Did u find out what problem was?

As stated in the previous post, put on your seatbelt before starting the engine.