FIAT Punto - Punto died whilst driving - jetman

My son has a fiat punto 1.2 8v (Y plate) and on Thursday last week whilst driving the car it stopped.

RAC called out and said they suspect timing belt!

Could the belt have slipped and if so, is it easy to re-align (with a new belt)?

Or is the problem simpler than that as in battery, coils etc.

Help would be appreciated before I go down the route of trying to fix it myself or having it towed to a garage- depends upon my sense of humour today!

By the way, my wife also has a punto which is exhibiting almost demonic behaviour of the windscreen wipers. Fitted a new wiper motor etc. and the problem started from there - any advice on this would be also greatly appreciated.

Happy motoring!

FIAT Punto - Punto died whilst driving - Chris M

Timing belt is really easy job on a Punto. I wouldn't have thought the battery would cause an engine to stop running and coil packs would probably have played up beforehand - there are two, so unlikely they would both fail together. Was the car running OK previously? Any warning lights showing?

Timing belt is really easy job on a Punto. I wouldn't have thought the battery would cause an engine to stop running and coil packs would probably have played up beforehand - there are two, so unlikely they would both fail together. Was the car running OK previously? Any warning lights showing?

Chris, thanks for replying so quickly.

Yes car was running OK beforehand - had a new clutch fitted about 10 days before 'incident' has done around 500+ miles since!

Couldn't say what warning lights were showing as my son stated 'the whole dash lit up like a christmas tree' - very seasonal.

Suppose timing belt looks favourite - how long would you say it would/should take to change?

Cheers

Mark

FIAT Punto - Punto died whilst driving - injection doc

Timing belts very prone to jumping on these engines, especially as the pullys wear/. Worth checking the water pump.

Check the timing first, alighn crank to TDC using marks seen through bell housing and a horizontal v will should line up with the edge of the cylinder head.

Belts were always prone to jumping when the engines were reved to excess. Also worth checking the crank sensor & condition of alt belt as when the belts start to shread they can take out the crank sensor. If its just had clutch fitted check the earth strap down the rear of engine/bell housing/gearbox. If this has been left loose it will also cut out.

Timing belts very prone to jumping on these engines, especially as the pullys wear/. Worth checking the water pump.

Check the timing first, alighn crank to TDC using marks seen through bell housing and a horizontal v will should line up with the edge of the cylinder head.

Belts were always prone to jumping when the engines were reved to excess. Also worth checking the crank sensor & condition of alt belt as when the belts start to shread they can take out the crank sensor. If its just had clutch fitted check the earth strap down the rear of engine/bell housing/gearbox. If this has been left loose it will also cut out.

Thanks for the response injection doc.

I will check the earth strap first then the timing belt etc. etc.

many thanks

Mark