'97 Rover 100 c/locking solenoids keep failing - jean
I have an 'N' reg Rover 100 Kensington and the central locking solenoids keep failing. I have had three of them replaced, at a cost of £100 a time (£40 parts, £60 labour) and have had the repairs redone at least once each time under guarantee. I have
just had a third one put in the nearside rear door and now the off side rear one is on the way out.
My garage say that this is a problem with these cars and I will just have to keep having them replaced. Is that all I can do? I would be happy to have the whole system replaced if this was likely to be a cheaper and more reliable option in the long run, but no-one seems to be able to give me any advice. Has any one any ideas?

Car details edited into the drop down menus.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/10/2007 at 22:14

rover 100 central locking - Cyd
Can you email me with specific details of exactly what is going wrong with the cdl and what the dealer is telling you is wrong. You should not expect to keep having this problem - this cdl system isn't the most modern but it was reliable enough in SD1s, Discos and Range Rovers too. These Kiekert actuators never had a particularly poor warranty record. Of course the dealer is happy to keep charging you £100 a time for failing to sort out the root cause of the problem.
rover 100 central locking - kymmy
Hi, Cyd{p}, I hope you don't mind me enquiring, but basically you sound like you know what you're talking about.
I bought my P reg Rover 100 a week ago off my mother's neighbour, it's in good nick but two days ago an old lady bumped into the back of it. Today the central locking has gone, is this an unlucky coincidence?
Basically, when I press the fob, the car locks and unlocks immediately, and then the alarm sounds. If I lock the car with the key, it locks and then unlocks. and if I lock the car on the inside it does the same?
What's wrong with it and what can I do???
rover 100 central locking - kymmy
The previous question is not specific to Cyd{p}, I would be greatful to anybody that could give me some idea as to what's happened and what I can do.
I don't want to take it to a garage and get ripped off when it could be as little as something stopping the locking form going down???
please, please help
rover 100 central locking - Doc
As the car has suffered a rear shunt, I suspect that the rear hatch is not closing properly.

My Rover 114 does the same with the alarm as you describe, when one of the doors is not closed fully.

You could possibly disarm the C/L by removing a fuse (no.12 on mine) until you get the rear sorted. (fuse box under steering wheel)
The key should still work.

The biggest problem with these is that that the latch is separate from the switch/motor unit. The switch/motor units have a problem where the two halves of the casing separate and this allows the gears/switches inside to dissengage.

It is possible that the rear end shunt has caused one of the door/tailgate switches to become displaced relative to its respective door. this might prevent the switch from telling the ecu that its door is shut.So have the alignment of the hatch and rear doors checked along with the switch operation.

If this fails to cure the problem then I would suspect it's just bad luck and that it is the drivers door switch/motor unit failing.
rover 100 central locking - Simon
Hi there, I run an 'M' reg Metro which is essentially the same car. I have had to replace one of the rear door locking motors and was advised to get a replacement unit from Maplin Electronics. The Maplin ones are a 'universal fit' kind of style but they are very similar to the Rover units and fit virtually straight in with very little messing about. And the icing on the cake is that they cost less than a tenner and take about half an hour to fit. If you want anymore info on how to fit them or need to know anything else, you can email me at milnes@overseal.freeserve.co.uk
rover 100 central locking - David Lacey
We replace loads of these motors......

Make sure your 'warratny' covers them if you are buying a car from a dealer!

MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/
Jean - I've posted a pic of the offending motor over here for your info

forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6852

Can you see almost £50 in this? I can't!

MG-Rover Problems? Click on forums.mg-rover.org
rover 100 central locking - Phil I
Thats the one . My n/s front door passed away last year. I replaced with Maplin. (very little fiddle to mount as not exact match for oem item.) . Vastly different construction to the original which I broke open and examined. My considered opinion was typical Longbridge purchase office rubbish, cheapest possible price from rotten design parameters supplied by dodgy subcontractors from poor material.

Happy Motoring Phil I

Maybe so, but they keep my Technicians busy!

£60 Labour?? I wish!

rover 100 central locking - StephenK
Do you know how to reset the immobilser as i removed the fuse accidently and it wont do anything, I was in the middle of changing the solenoids for the central locking system. Can you help
rover 100 central locking - Mondaywoe
Hi Dave

Strange to say, I was talking to a cousin this afternoon who has a Rover 100. He says the Central Locking is playing up - as soon as he locks it with the PLIP, it promptly unlocks itself again.I think he said the alarm goes off too. Would this be a faulty CDL motor or just a sticky linkage somewhere?

Why doesn't everyone get a nice simple car like a C5? (Ducks to avoid incoming fire!)

Graeme
Hi Graeme

I would hazard a guess that it'd be the drivers CDL motor/alarm master switch playing up here - that's the usual. The alarm master switch is in the OSF CDL motor unit, hence the five wires emanating out of the unit itself.

FUD100720 is what you need*, about £50 :-(

*I think!

rover 100 central locking - Mondaywoe
Hi Dave

Thanks for that! Presumably this one can't be sourced from Maplins (?) Will investigate.

Graeme
I'd go along with that Dave. The same unit was also fitted into Range Rover Classics and Discovery 1 - except in this case they were made by Keikert to the same design as the Rockwell units in Metros, Maestros etc (cars had Rockwell, 4x4 had Keikert). the Keikert units are better made and had a lower warranty return rate as I recall. The only exception to this commonality may be Metros with remote operated alarms which may have an alarm control switch in the control unit. I feel certain that the units from Maplin are Keikert.

I have Jeans old unit and believe it has the classic fault - the two halves of the casing are not glued together properly. This allows the motor and gears to move around inside the casing causing wear. Eventually they can move enough so that the worm drive dissengages. I haven't had time to disect it yet, but am confident this is the problem. When I do I'll report back.

There's actually nothing wrong with the basic design - it's entirely a manufacturing problem and probably does have the hallmarks of Longbridge Purchasings aggresive late '80s policy of pushing down the price of parts so far that suppliers end up cutting corners leading to quality suffering. I won't name the two big exponents of this policy in todays climate to protect HJ, but if you really want to know email me and I'll explore it with you after golf.

Secondhand units should be easy to source from a Rover or Landie breaker. Fortunately most cdl motors nowadays are integral with the latch mechanism and are much more reliable.
rover 100 central locking - aidan
Simon, do you know the Maplin part number for the solenoid and is that all you need to get these doors working !!!! and is it as easy as you say, i.e. 1 hour per door as I now have 3 doors not working.

rover 100 central locking - Andrew-T
Some motor factors sell 4-door kits of motors and electronics for around £50. If you are prepared to fiddle about with door trims etc. you could replace the whole lot for a good deal less than your friendly local Rover dealer.
rover 100 central locking - jean
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We have replaced the offending motor with a Maplin one, (parts - £10.25 delivered to the door, labour - cups of tea and encouragement) and it now works with a very business-like 'clunk', while all the others do that double sound still. Hopefully we will be okay for a while!! Happy motoring in 2003!
Jean
rover 100 central locking - kithmo
Went in Maplin shop, in Sheffield, today (January sales an' all that), had to go out and come back in again, I could not believe it. The central locking solenoids were £7.99 inc VAT each (not sale price, normal price) and a whole Universal 4 door kit, including 2 solenoids with switches (front doors), 2 solenoids without switches (rears), control unit and miles of wires and all the connectors and brackets was only £14.99, YES £14.99, this is the normal price not January sale price. I asked the sales assistant to check the price and promptly bought one. I am an impulse shopper, I don't really need one, but at this price I could not walk away. So if you do need one (Universal, fits any car) Maplin is the place.
code YD77J? still £49.99 on their website (and in the 2000 catalogue I have). Could be they are planning to discontinue these and have reduced the price to clear them?
I like the solid 'clunk' of the aftermarket kits rather than the wheezy double whirr of the Rover system!

Gives me a sense of security!

Might have to look into these CDL motors from Maplin - might save us some ££ on our sales cars! We usually have to fit one or two to each 100/Metro that goes through the reconditioning process before sale.

I would entirely agree with you Dave. I assume the astmatic wheeze you are refering to is that made by the Mitsui latch fitted to all Rovers since about 1989 (except the 75 and 95-on R800s). When I was involved (on the sidelines) with the development of Rovers C-type latch I always argued that customers prefered to hear a decent ker-chunk so they could tell the car was locked when they used their radio remote as they were walking away. I was at odds with a posse of Chief Engineers who believed the near-silent pneumatic Audi/Merc systems to be the "Best-in-Class" at the time (around 92 to 94). They argued that the sill buttons provided visual indication that the car had locked, whereas I argued that users didn't want to have to look but would prefer to use the multidirectional sense of hearing. The C-type went into production in New Range Rover with a satisfying ker-chunk-chink - I just love the noise they make in my R800VS, I can tell it's locked properly even from behind the closed garage door.

BTW - do you have any idea why MGR never fitted the C-type into R25 and R45? It wouldn't have taken much effort (it was designed to replace the Mitsui) and would work wonders for these cars security (which is poor).
Cyd
Yes, Code YD77, Branded Nikkai.
Update on price of Maplin Central locking kit, went in shop today and its gone up to £24.99, it must have been priced wrongly before. Still a bargain though eh ?
This kit (YD77J) from Maplin is now £49.99 in the shops and on the web but do you need all the parts in the kit to get each door working or do you need just the solinoid or ??? as all the parts are available seperately it might work out cheaper, I have only one door working now on my 100 and is it really that easy to fit, i.e. 1 hour per door ??
Hi, no you only need the individual motors for each door concerned. The part number for Maplins being YD79L, depending on which doors they are for on your Rover 100. What year is your car and am I right to assume that it is only the drivers door that now works on your car? I also assume that you are fairly sure that it is the three motors that are knackered and not something else such as a wiring fault. Did the three pack up at the same time or did they pack up one at a time? Let me know the answers to these questions and I will be a wiser as to what advice/parts you need to fix your car. And yes they are fairly easy to fit. If you are pretty competent while fiddling with bits and pieces on cars or diy, then about an hour a door will be about right.
Thanks for this, my car is M reg and the only door working is the passenger front door, I use the key for the drivers side so when I press the key fob to disable the alarm only the one door unlocks all the others I have to do manually and they have slowly gone individually over time, I had Rover replace a couple some time ago and they went again so it was costing a fortune so I have just left it unitil I could find a cheaper alternative.
Any help and advice is much appreciated.
Cheers

If you have looked on the Maplin website at the page where the motors are sold seperately, then you will have probably noticed that there is a two wire version and a five wire version of these locking motors. The five wire motor is what is known as the master motor and this controls what the other central locking motors on the car do. Now on your Rover 100/Metro there should be in one of the front doors the five wire master motor. Now I don't know which door it is fitted in but I would guess that it will be in the drivers door. In the other front door and the two rear doors there will be fitted just the basic two wire version locking motors. Unless anyone else can tell us about which door the master motor is in, then you may have to strip the trim off the drivers door and have a look. If you do strip the trim off all you have to do is look at the locking motor and count the number of wires going into it. Once we have worked out which motors you need to buy I will send you an e-mail with detailed instructions on how to fit the motors. My e-mail address is: milnes@overseal.freeserve.co.uk
Cheers for all your help and advice, I have replied to this via your e-mail address to gave, you can reply direct to me on aidan.griffin@soundcraft.com
Cheers
rover 100 central locking - Fox
Hello all!

I'm experiencing similar problems to those mentioned here. I have an 'N' reg Rover Kensington, 100 SE.

My problem is with the drivers side central locking. My handheld remote 'plip' will open the passenger side (with a rather weak and not to convincing sound) but not the drivers' side.

After reading coments from this thread, I decided to go take my inside door panel off to have a look. I have the 5 wire set up (2 orange, 2 pink and 1 black) motor.

Could anyone out there confirm that the part I need to replace is in the Maplins catalogue, item YD78K? (5W). Would I need to purchase any other parts other than this?

maplin.co.uk/

Sorry if this is treding over old ground, any help would me much appreciated though.
Yes you are correct that the part you need from Maplins is number YD78K (the 5 wire version). You don't need any other major parts than this apart from a few crimp on terminals or something similar to join the wires up with. You will find that the coloured wires on the new motor are different colours to the original Rover items. When you wire the new motor in you need need to join up:

(New Motor) - (Loom on Car)
White - Pink/Purple
Green - Pink
Blue - Orange
Brown - Orange/Purple
Black - Black

The fitting of the motor should be fairly easy as it is almost identical to the original Rover item. I also tend to ignore the new fittings supplied with the new motors and use the original ones. The only other thing you may have to do is enlarge the hole slightly that the operating arm goes into on the new Maplin motor as it can sometimes be a little too small for the operating arm.
Cheers Simon.

That's answered what I wanted to know and then some.I'm typing this with the old motor sitting in front of me which I removed not 5 minutes ago with no trouble at all.

I'll nip down Maplins now I think, and pick up the crimping set from work in the morning. Hopefully Bob will be my mothers brother by this time Tuesday.

Thanks again!
After my original post here, I ended up...

...cutting back the 5 wires from the old motor/actuator so as to keep the male part of the plug in tact. Then, using Simons wiring guide, soldered wires from the new Maplins motor/actuator (£9.99) to the wires from the old male plug (using inulation tape after).

The only problem I came across was mounting the new Maplins motor/actuator onto the existing bracket from my Metro. The holes of the motor/actuator did not line up with the old bracket, and had to weld on an extenion plate, redrilling the holes to mount(making sure the motor went up and down in the same plane as the original).

I also used a 5.5mm drill bit to make the nylon hole slightly bigger.

That was my experience anyways, and took less than 24 hours from taking the door paneling off, buying the new motor/actuator, modifying the bracket, and wiring/fitting the new motor/actuator. Now my central locking on the drivers side makes a lovely 'CLUNKING' noise now and works as good as old.

It was all rather enjoyable, and knowing that I'd saved myself a few quid on the way was nice too.

Cheers!
rover 100 central locking - Kuang
Apologies in advance if I'm retreading old ground here, but I was interested to know whether or not the post earlier regarding the locks unlocking/alarm sounding was solved my replacing the master motor. My partner has just bought a lovely 95 111Sli which had an issue with a reluctant driver side lock when she picked it up - It would sometimes take a few attempts to get the door to actually lock even though the passenger side and boot worked fine. This has recently become more serious in that the car will regularly unlock and sound the alarm, even with nobody near. If you're lucky this will happen as soon as you lock it so you can reset it yourself but its not uncommon for it to go off in the middle of the night.

Our local Rover dealers (bless 'em) said that they'd 'never heard of this happening before' and that we should take it in for their electricians to have a look, but given their prices I'd rather not. I'm also slightly concerned that they claim not to have come across what appears to be a common fault...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Is it manual locking, i.e. with the key in the lock, or remote control, i.e. press button ?. If it is Remote control then it may be the receiver or alarm module that is faulty causing voltage fluctuations to trigger the lock. If it is Manual locking then it could possibly be the drivers door lock that needs lubrication, the connection between the lock switch and the lock solenoid (possibly via a relay or fuse) or the door solenoid itself. Another possibility is low battery voltage (duff battery).
P.s. Another possibility is that someone is actually trying to break in to it during the night ;)
Hehe..

We've stood talking near the car, and heard it unlock itself and sound the alarm so I can more or less rule that final possibility out :)

It often triggers when you first use the remote to lock it - the driver side door button will sluggishly creep downwards (often with a slight jump at the end of its travel) and then all the doors will unlock immediately, sounding the alarm. I was wondering about a fault in the master CDL motor because of the incorporated alarm switch, and the sluggish lock action on that side. Apparently it's been like that for some time (according to the previous owner) although we discovered that that driver side lock has also been replaced at some point - she was given a different key when she bought it, but had never actually tried it and relied solely on the remote..

We still have to try locking it with the key alone - when you lock it by pushing the door button, the CDL activates anyway, so you're back to square one. The battery is also fairly new, and as far as I can tell is in pretty decent shape.

That has given me a few more possibiities to poke and prod at though, so thanks! :)
It'll be the driver's side CDL motor/switch unit playing up :-)
rover 100 central locking - Gen
one of those maplin kits does the job nicely. But can get cheaper same one off internet
eg
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418...9

replace the whole lot if it keeps giving grief...doing the first door is the hardest since got to work out where to put.
Yup, thats exactly what it was. I replaced the motor the other day and it\'s sorted everything out. The alarm now *doesn\'t* set when you lock the door with the key (which is did before for some bizarre reason, even though it isn\'t supposed to), using the key works every time rather than jamming on occasions, and the lock action is far more positive than before. Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Next time I\'ll work out an easier way of hooking that metal clip onto the motor as well... ;)
rover 100 central locking - Hein
Just a quick thank you to all. I went out and got replacement cdl or actuators from Maplin today. Got a kit from Nikkai with 2 5w and 2 2w cdls for 29.99. I got home after 4pm and had replaced the lot before 8pm. The rear doors is as straight forward as removing the old one and installing the new one. The front doors I simply sopped the brackets from the driver to the passenger door and visa versa. Drilled a few new holes and voila. Oh yes the nilon piston need a 5.5mm hole for the metal clip to fit trough.
Again thank you to everyone that has gathered this info. My locking now works fine, and that for 30 quid instead of 300 the mechanics wanted. Now only need to find an affordable replacement remote.
rover 100 central locking - chhris
Anybody out there who knows how to avoid £117 for a key fob immobilisor for an N reg 100 ??? Can the immobilisor be removed so that I can put in one which isnt going to cost me a fortune.

ps if anyone has such a remote that isnt working it is worth trying the following...take unit apart (avoid touching chip inside) and look carefully at battery connections - the act of pressing the buttons can cause a breakage in these, but can be repaired with a piece of foil. Unfortunatly mine is now beyond repair.
rover 100 central locking - Kirk
I have a Rover 115SD which sadly came without central locking, as the past 3 cars i have owned had it fitted I am missing it badly.
I recently purchased the maplin cdl kit (4 door) and took off door panel in the front drivers side to fit the motor wherever I offered it up to stopped the window from opening fully. After reading this forum and see that some of you have accomplished this could someone PLEASE tell me where the motors can be mounted so as to allow the window to open. a diagram or photo would be appreciated.
I have the site admin of rover100.co.uk to thank for this tip:

Maplin changed the spec of the replacement units slightly - the metal ring that connects the motor unit to the lock was rotated through 90 degrees around its axis. The unit itself is equally slim along its width, but is sort of pear-shaped (work with me here..) depth-wise, so the added thickess will foul the window if you mount it as normal. You need to mount it inside the door with the side of the motor facing you rather than the thin edge.

The trick is to heat up the metal rod between the connecting loop and the motor body, and then twist it around through 90 degree while it's warm. You can them mount the motor sideways on under the window channel and it shouldn't get in the way :)
rover 100 central locking - DL
I can't believe how this thread re-appears every now and again!
rover 100 central locking - benji
Thanks for the info Simon.
I have just bought a Maplins 5 wire door lock, but can you e-mail any wiring instructions as none came with the soleniod
Thanking you Benji

Rover 400 central locking - sj1
Hello, I am amazed at what a common problem this is.
Mine as a slight variation on the above probs,, so wondering if anyone can give me some advice please.
My boot lid light on the dashboard stays on, as has doen for ages, a few months ago the central locking starting playing up, I don't think it was at the same time that they stopped working. The car's keyfob buttons have stopped working long ago, so I manually use the key to lock/unlock the door.
I lock the door and then the door immediately unlocks itself, it usually takes a couple of attempts to lock the door, but once locked it stays locked.
The alarm/immobiliser is activated and deactivated with the key locking/unlocking action. This was a problem for months, but I lived with it. But now its got worse.
When I unlock the door the central locking does not kick in, the drivers door manually unlocks, but the alarm does not deactivate so you can't go anywhere. I have to stand there for ages locking and unlocking the door until it eventually kicks in and unlocks the door, deactivating the alarm in the process.
So, my question is do you think this is related to the boot mechanism? Or the actual central locking mechanism, I haven't got loads of money to experiment or change all the central locking over just in case, so any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.