vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - corsa_van

hi there new here but the other day i got my self a littel corsa b van 1.4 merit i have look at the fuse box all fuse's are okay, a volt meter was put on the conections of the stereo plug in the car and there was no power at all evan with the ignition on nothink happens at all
i dont really wanna mess about with it but a friend of mine who also has a corsa cant find the problem but would really like to fix this asap as i have a long trip to make and would be nice to have some music

vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - Cymrogwyllt

Don't rely on a visual check of the fuses. Best check with a meter. Might be worth trying removing and replacing a known good fuse a few times. They're cheap enough and bad contacts are not unknown on any car

thanks i'll give this ago in the morning as i have a box of fuse's brand new so i'll replace them and see if it work if not what else could it be?

vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - Cymrogwyllt

In the good old days I'd have run a very temporary, with an in line fuse, from the battery positive to the stereo end of the disconnected supply together with a lead to either another temporary to the negative terminal or earth just to test the stereo.

These days you might be a 'victim' of the anti theft measures and need the code for the radio

i know the stereo works as i took it out my last car as its a cd player and i can also connect my sub woofer to it but i have fitted the woofer as i want the stereo working first

vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - elekie&a/c doctor

I would not be surprised on a car of this age that the fuses have been messed around with and there may be fuses missing from their correct locations.hth

vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - Waino

My son had similar problems with the power supply to the radio in his 1995 Corsa B. We fiddled about with it a couple of years ago but, from memory, the root of the problem was a switch/contact in the bottom of the ignition lock barrel that wasn't working. At the time, I searched around and this was a known issue. We took another feed to the radio, but this led to the problem of the battery going flat after a couple of days. [The radio takes 2 feeds - one to the radio, the other to the front panel].

The only way to get round this was to make sure that the front panel was taken off the radio after every use. The alternatives would have been to replace the lock barrel at some expense, or to put a separate switch in the second supply wire to the radio. Apparently, a radio front panel can use a significant amount of power - and this is cut when the ignition key is taken out of a properly functioning barrel.

Note to O/P - just out of interest, did you have any joy in sorting this one out?

vauxhall corsa b van - no power to the stereo at all - Victorbox

The alternatives would have been to replace the lock barrel at some expense,

But the ignition switch is available as a separate component to the lock barrel and not very expensive either. It would be the first thing I'd replace if no feed to radio after checking the fuses. tinyurl.com/3ywbzsz

Edited by Victorbox on 03/01/2011 at 20:43

Thanks for the tip, Victorbox. At the time that we were trying to sort the problem, none of the websites/forums alluded to the ignition switch as a separate component. When the weather warms up, I'll have another look at fixing it - it would be far more convenient if we didn't have to remember to remove the radio front after every trip.