Using just two winter tyres.. - almac

Is it worth putting winter tyres on just the driven wheels, in my case the rear? Or would the difference in grip between front and rear in poor conditions just make matters even worse?

Thanks.

Alan.

Using just two winter tyres.. - Collos25

Discussed many this forum if you look ,it is not recommended to do so and where I live in Germany its illegal for good reason.

Using just two winter tyres.. - OldSkoOL

Like you assumed; bad idea

You need all 4.

If you want to save the cash get some snow socks. Have worked well for some BMW owners.

Personally i wouldn't be without the vred wintracs on mine. Best cash i spent on my car.

Using just two winter tyres.. - SteveLee
In the test often linked to "prove" having winter tyres only on the driven wheels is a bad idea - they defeated the ABS so it's not a surprise that the rear overtook the front during emergency braking where they locked the wheels, if your car has ABS and ASC I cannot see a problem with running winter tyres on the driven wheels alone. the above systems will keep the car on the straight and narrow during braking. The legislation in Germany was no doubt brought in before ABS and ASC became "the norm".
Using just two winter tyres.. - Talking Hoarse

30+ years ago I used to run an rwd car with just 2 snow tyres (back in the days of SP44's) on rear, and indeed I did the same on a Mini 850. However I would not entertain now on just the front of a fwd car - it will swap ends far too readily under braking (I tried it and scared myself). I can't make up my mind about 2 winter tyres on back of a rwd car - I guess you would get decent traction but not brakes & steering. So if brakes or steering are important ........?

Actually made law on the 4 dec this year and for good reason testsby the ADAC and TUV showed vehicles fitted with only two winter tyres and the results were horrific.You are also told to turn off your ABS and ASC because its safer in slippy icy conditions.

Using just two winter tyres.. - turbo11

If your only using your "two" winter tyres during this bad weather on snow covered roads, then as long as your pottering along and driving sensibly they should certainly be an improvement than sliding around on summer tyres. The car park at my wifes hospital is full of abandoned cars which can't be driven out of the car park due to the snow. I bet most would get out if they had winter tyres on, even fitted on just two wheels.

Using just two winter tyres.. - nortones2

They might get out of the car park, but how would they deal with a gentle braking on a bend? Or with a downhill adverse camber. You can drive slowly/gently in an arcadian revery, but not on the UK roads with numpties at large! Not on to unbalance a car on the ice. Unless it's a skid pan.

I drove slowly and sensibly this morning, as were most people.(apart from the fiesta that went in the ditch) On my rural commute driving on 6" of snow, we never got over 25mph. Braking on bends at that speed with just winters on the front or rear would have been better than sliding around on low profile summer tyres. The biggest problem by far where I live is getting up the slippery slight inclines. When I receive my winter tyres hopefully next week, I shall try out two on the front first for comparison and let you know the results. Will be an interesting comparison. Thats if the snow hasn't gone by the time they turn up.

Using just two winter tyres.. - almac

Unfortunately my car has already sustained some minor front end damage so hence my belated interest in tyres. My instinct is to bite the bullet and get the four tyres as I will probably have this car (318i) for this winter and two more.

Thanks again for all the advice. Alan.

Using just two winter tyres.. - oldtoffee

I'm with everyone who says 2 wheels bad 4 wheels better. It would be interesting to see how the insurance company would view it should someone damage their vehicle and they've got different types of tyres on the car which I will assume is not what the car owner manual recommends.

I've seen those videos on how the car handles with just two winter tyres and to think that someone who has seen that or has been told the potential problems might be prepared to give it a try is to my mind plain daft.

Wonder how people cope with snow socks which are used in pairs. Same effect as a pair of winter tyres I would imagine.

Using just two winter tyres.. - SteveLee

You are also told to turn off your ABS and ASC because its safer in slippy icy conditions.

Turn off ABS? How? Perhaps some off-roaders have this facility but what passenger cars do? I had a play in an empty icy car park, I can assure you the car was far, far more controllable with the ASC turned on.

Much as I respect your opinion the ADAC and TUV have a little more experience than you and I rightly or wrongly I shall take their advice.

Using just two winter tyres.. - tim-cumbria

I have used winter tyres since the mid 1980's. Until last year I only ever used them on the front wheels of FWD cars. Last winter I fitted one car with them only on the front and one with them on all four wheels. The car with them on all four had, at the beginning of last winter's snow, had them on just two. So I could compare the difference before and after the change.

Yes, it's clearly better to have them on all four. Driving on two does require a different technique. When you feel the back end slipping sideways part way around a corner you have to be confident enough to accelerate a little to pull the car straight. When braking, if you feel the back end starting to slip and the car begins to turn.you have to quickly release pressure off the brakes a bit - so you need to have left enough space in front of you to allow for that.

I find it quite easy to inter change between my own cars, with two or four winter tyres. The back-end slip on the former reminds me to adapt my technique. What is rather hazardous is when I get out of one of my cars, into a work car with summer tyres fitted. I hate doing that. I then have to be very careful indeed and driving becomes a very stressful and hazardous experience. This convinces me that four summer tyres in snow and ice can be nothing short of dangerous above 10mph or so. Such cars should be left on the drive in those conditions.

I'm certain that a reasonably careful driver with a fwd is far better having two winter tyres than not changing over at all, but running on four winter tyres is definitely better and they last longer on the back of a FWD than they do on the front. I do not have the experience to comment on RWD with two winter tyres. Last winter, with four winter tyres, I felt confident enough to drive purely for pleasure on the untreated hardly used lanes in the hilly north Pennines. With just two fitted during previous winters, I had to be a little more cautious, but I still drove on quiet and not quite so remote roads in snow for just fun!

So my motto is 'two winter tyres better, four winter tyres best'!

I suggest a little test. Inform your insurer that you have decided to only fit the driven wheels with winters. If they accept the situation, all well and good. If not, you might be without cover, then or in the event of a bump. Bet no-one risks letting their insurer know!

Using just two winter tyres.. - brum

if just using two winter tyres then placing them on the rear axle (even though its FWD or RWD car ) would surely be safer in that it should stop the car spinning or sliding sideways. Braking although improved, will still be limited by the front's ability to brake, but eliminating the scary scenario of a spinning totally out of control car would be a step forward. This is similar to the advice that the best tyres always go on the back.

If the tyre sizes/speed rating are the same as the originals then I dont see insurance companys being bothered, after all they dont care if you fit Wanly Woo / Flying Bomb tyres or top of the range Michelin / Continental / etc tyres.

Edited by brum on 29/10/2011 at 14:57

Using just two winter tyres.. - jamie745

Tell your insurance company 'on the other hand i could leave it with original tyres, skid off the road, kill 7 children, write off the car and 50 grands worth of public library as well if you'd prefer' and see what they say to that

I take it thats a "no"?

Using just two winter tyres.. - ianhad2

Back in the '60's I was living in East Yorkshire, I had a 105E Anglia and never used winter tyres. Since then I moved on to front wheel drive cars, and again, never used winter tyres.

Using just two winter tyres.. - Avant

The Anglia had skinny tyres which gave better grip in snow than their fatter successors. I've had FWD cars since 1971 and have found them all very sure-footed in snow and ice until my last and current cars, Skoda Octavia vRSs with 225/40/18 tyres which are hopeless in snow.

Just this week I've had fitted 16" steel wheels with Kléber all-weather tyres, which I'll keep on till March and then alternbate with the originals. Let's hope for the best if we get that white rubbish again this winter.