Volvo S40 - Starting problems but not after I stall. - hotrod97uk

Ive been having starting problems for the last few months. After turning off engine, the car will take about 10mins of constant key turning to get started again. It begins to start, but something cuts in and causes it to stall. All lights come on the dash. It always starts eventually, so If it was the immobilisor, why would it start at all?

I have come across a temporary solution however. Whenever I park up, instead of turning engine off using key, I stall it. This way, I have never had starting issues. It starts up without fault 100% of the time

Obviously I cant be stalling it everywhere I go to have it guarantee to start again, so I would really be grateful for some advice.

Thanks

Volvo S40 - Starting problems but not after I stall. - Peter D

Go on give us a clue, is this petrol or diesel. If the latter then it mat be the fuel cut off valve is sticking closed. Regards Peter

Volvo S40 - Starting problems but not after I stall. - hotrod97uk

Thanks Peter, its a 2.0 Deisel, done 40k. 5yrs old. Would there be any testing I could do to determine whether it is or not?

Many thanks

Volvo S40 - Starting problems but not after I stall. - Peter D

A live data diagnostic check may identify your problem Regards Peter

Volvo S40 - Starting problems but not after I stall. - Mil1194

I had EXACTLY this problem with a Merc C230K last winter. Put in on a computer and no faults found. EVENTUALLY - after proper 'mechanicing'! There was a 'cracked' relay in the boot for the power supply.This was also affected by the way it was parked so that it 'twisted' in wrong position!