Peugeot 406 HDI (year 2000) - EGR Code P0401 - MAF Sensor problem - su37

Hi all - am new user and greatly appreciate any help at all!!

My pug recently developed P0401 "EGR insufficient flow" so I removed and cleaned EGR pipe and surrounding pipes out although they were not all that clogged. This is accompanied with severe lack of power (limp mode i guess). Next I tested EGR valve vacuum operation - again seemed fine and also did basic check of elec current - seems OK. Also checked servo operation, for hose leaks down to turbo - again no probs detected.

Had fault cleared, ran car, no difference ie; no power and fault code returned. Next cleaned MAF (Airflow) sensor on engine intake pipe but also no difference.

$$$ Ran the car with MAF sensor unplugged and power fully restored again - hooray!! (not a permanent fix though).

Does this necessarily point to faulty MAF sensor though (£90 - ouch)? - you see my mate who works in Peugeot parts says they very rarely sell these. So before I buy this any ideas??? - i mean the fault is P0401 EGR...

LAST NOTE:- just prior to all this, battery totally died, so replaced it - P0401 came on very shortly after this - although I can't see a connection unless when new battery was connected it put a spike through the ECU causing reoccuring spurious code - again any ideas welcome....?

many thanks ---> SU37

Peugeot 406 HDI (year 2000) - EGR Code P0401 - MAF Sensor problem - Collos25

Your mate is probably correct as most people buy them from other sources much cheaper,if as you say it runs better without the Maf I think that is the problem part.

Peugeot 406 HDI (year 2000) - EGR Code P0401 - MAF Sensor problem - injection doc
the only way to be sure is to have a diagnostic tool plugged in and read the live data from the air flow meter to see if it responds, when you unplug the meter it goes to a defuault setting which will increase the fuelling which may in turn be masking another issue.
I would check live data first to be sure otherwise its expensive guess work!

I have experinced these loosing total power & restored it by adding fuel line cleaner neat into the fuel filter when hot, then run for 40 seconds then leave overnight Then re-start in the morning with couple of bottles in the tank & this has restored them to full power.
I have normally used Comma Injector magic 2000 diesel.

Thanks guys,

Did get round to using the Diesel Magic but no noticable difference, However have since removed MAF sensor and cleaned all surfaces with solvent - reinstalled and whaddayaknow, power totally restored...!! Hooray.. (i saw a similar posting where somebody had same remedy).

Still have to sort EGR Code P0401 - so if anyone has any further suggestions they are very welcome...??

Meantime all input you kindly provided thus far is really appreciated....

Had codes erased recently and touchwood no return... Seems to point that EGR Code 0401 had some sort of link with the MAF sensor problem - can't imagine why though but that's engine management for you.

Peugeot 406 HDI (year 2000) - EGR Code P0401 - MAF Sensor problem - dieselnut

When the EGR valve opens under instruction from the ECU the MAF should see a corresponding reduction in airflow, as exhaust gas has now replaced the air.

When it didn't see this ( due to the dirty MAF ) it threw up a EGR code thinking the EGR hadn't opened & was faulty.

Just goes to show how these fault codes are just a starting point to an investigation & may not be relied on 100%.