Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - max1/

Hi please can anyone advise me what would be the best estate to buy my budget will be 5 Grand i have been looking at Audi A4 tdi or Petrol version and BMW 320 diesel sport and 5 series diesel and petrol version bearing in mind we dont use the car everyday and only do about 4/5K milege a year we have 2 small dogs and child.

We currently have a Honda CRV 1999 on t reg but now fancy a estate car please can someone steer me in the right direction.

Regards Colin

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - madf

On under 5k miles a year, no advantage to a diesel except the badge... Do the sums and find out.

You are paying for the badge in either option.. If you want a badge on wheels either will do. Except in snow..

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - Collos25

If you decide on a BMW diesel take it straight away and have the swirlflaps removed and replaced with blanking plates .Its well known problem with BMW diesels where the swirlflaps fall apart the engine swallows them result new engine needed.I run a 520 petrol and it is as economical over a year as the diesel versions.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/portal.php

Click on swirlflaps .

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - rogue-trooper

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/portal.php

Click on swirlflaps .

I have had my current 530d for 10 years now and have never come across swirl flaps before. But clicking on some of the further links it seems that it is 2001 onwards and mine is a 2000.

If you are going for a 5 series, you can pick up some very nice E39s rather than E60s. And if you want something even more stylish, the E34 is a great looker. Apart frommy sub-frame bushes needing to be changed (a common occurence and worth noting if buying one) then it really is a nice car to drive. I have been tempted to change it, but at 115k miles, it is only just run in :)

If you go for an Audi for that sort of money, I guess that you will be in the territory where the cambelt will need changing, a somewhat expensive exercise.

Not going to go into the petrol/diesel debate. That is something that you have to decide on. I personally prefer my engines with more torque, but if it is going to be thousands more, then as has been said, there isn't much economic sense if only doing 4-5k miles a year.

I bought the Mrs an Audi A4 Avant in 2004. It was a low mileage 1996 110tdi. Great car and sorry to sell it (as it was too small). Sold to a family member and it is still going strong without problem with 130k miles on it. But I didn't like the light steering and overly firm ride. I have to say that on my 530d SE, I sometimes don't like the overly soft suspension. Motorways and A roads it wafts along very nicely. The Sport might be the one to look at but that can be a bit firm and the price is a fair bit higher.

Can't tell you about the 3 series as haven't had one since the E36 and times have moved on from there. However I will say that when I went from my E36 to E39, I was much happier with the increased space. Going back into a 3 series felt a little claustrophobic. I imagine that with your CRV you get the impression of space, so you might find the same.

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - Avant

You'll get a newer car for your money if you go for a Skoda, Ford, VW or one of the Japanese makes rather than Audi or BMW. If you want an estate that isn't too big, you could look at the VW Golf or Volvo V40/V50.

I agree with the post above - don't go for a diesel with your low mileage. They can need very expensive repairs as they get older if you're unlucky.

If your own mileage is going to be low, don't be afraid of buying something with a highish mileage - you could get a bargain that other people will wrongly avoid.

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - k.anderson3454

Whew, i never thought buying a car was this difficult.:(

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - Avant

It doesn't have to be. If you love cars, it can be great fun.

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - max1/

Hi thankyou for all the response i think i will look at 330 or 530i sport i have convinced the wife not to worry about high mileage because they are only just running in after 100k apparently i have been informed.

Audi A4 Avant/BMW 3/5 series estate - which estate should i buy - madf

Nice cars.. but hopeless - and I mean HOPELESS - in snow without winter tyres.

Like they don't move at all - except sideways...