Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - Geoffm

From start up and moving off the ABS system kicks in then after about a minute it goes off and the light appears on the dash, normal braking but no ABS, changed the front two wheel sensors but no difference.Car has done 160,000 so i'm guessing now it's a more serious problem, i don't think it's the pump but in the book it shows ECU attached to side of the pump so i was wondering if anyone else has have a similar problem with either the Rover 75 or cars with similar ABS systems at can point me in the right direction, would a plug in at the garage indicate with a fault code what the failure is?

All help gratefully received

Geoff

Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - elekie&a/c doctor

If the light goes off initially after start up but then comes on when moving ,this usually indicates the the sensors are ok (one at each wheel).This car uses "active" abs sensors that pick up a magnetic pulse from the rear of the wheel bearing,so it is possible that this is were the fault is.A diagnostic test should point you in the direction of the problem .The ecu is bolted to the side of the pump and is a real pain to access .These can give trouble but usually the abs light stays on permanently.hth

Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - injection doc
is the vehicle an Auto ? there are throttle settings issues with the auto's that plays havoc with the abs!
the wiring loom to the ECU module tend to fill with water in where it runs in the n/s chassis leg & the water rots the loom & the ECU terminals.

Live data obtained first will be the best answer , this will check voltages & signals from wheel sensors etc. Hopefully this will give a better indication fo where a fault lies.
have you checked you brake light bulbs that they are all working without bad earths & are of the correct wattage ?

Do not pull the wiring loom about at all unless you are prepared because if its rotten as soon as you touch it , it will shatter into rotten pieces & it will take hours to repair
Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - Geoffm

Yes, it is an auto and my next action is to have in the gargae to read the faults i think thats the best option then go from there.

Thank you for the quick replies, much appreciated.

Geoff

Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - Collos25

You can also get the same problem if the main ECU is water logged the one on the passenger side under the plastic trim the death of a lot of 75s.

Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - demonichick

Hiya did you ever resolve this problem....we're currently having a similar issue.

The abs light comes on after getting to a speed of 12mph. We have renewed all sensors, had a diagnostics check and changed the hub to where it stated the problem was. ECU looks fairly new...no dirt grit etc.

possible a wiring loom issue?

It's a manual

We're at a loss and need to get it sorted now to get it mot'd

so stuck any help would be good...thanks

Rover 75 CDT - ABS Problem - injection doc

"the wiring loom to the ECU module tend to fill with water in where it runs in the n/s chassis leg & the water rots the loom & the ECU terminals. "

This area is the most common area for ABS faults, check under the battery. Do not pull the wiring loom around untill you are ready to check it thourghly because if its rotten when you touch it , it may fragment!

May be worth finding someone with the diag kit to do a live check in ABS then you can see whats happening when you drive. Is your one a diesel or V6 petrol ? i know you said its manual but if its V6 ,the throttle body control flaps sieze and affect the ABS belive it or not !

Have you also checked that all the tyre sizes are the same ! easy to miss