Ford Monde 2.0 TDCI Estate (2005) - CAR WON'T START AT ALL - bobo the clown
My car won't start. I put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 1&2 then wait for the dashboard lights to go out then turn to position 3 to start. All I get is one loud click then nothing. There is no noise from the starter motor and obviously the engine doesn't turn over.

I tried jump leads from a friends 2.5ltr diesel car and even with that I got the same result. Just a loud click and nothing. Any ideas?

I don't know if it's a sticking starter motor, the starter solenoid or something altogether different.

I don't want to go ahead and replace the starter motor only to find out that it's something else. Does anyone know any trucks or tips to work out what the problem is before I blindly throw money at it?
Ford Monde 2.0 TDCI Estate (2005) - CAR WON'T START AT ALL - dieselnut

If you're getting a loud click, that should be the starter solenoid operating.

Check that both ends of the large cable between the battery & starter are tight.

If you can access the starter easily give it a tap with a hammer, may just give you a chance to start & get it to a mechanic to change.

If the DMF is on the way out, that may have clogged the starter with metal fillings.

I rocked the car in 5th gear and then tried starting it. The engine made a very slow and sluggish attempt at turning over then all my dials went right round to the stops. Flat battery!

Now before this all happened there has been no warning light showing on the dashboard to suggest that the alternator was not charging and the car has been running normally. I'm guessing that the cold weather combined with my early work starts and late finishes therefore starting cold and running under heavy load with lights and heater and front an rear demisters has killed my battery. Checked the date and the battery is 6 years old. So I'm going to try putting s new battery on and keep my fingers crossed that this should do the trick.
Battery change didn't work. Just poor turnover then nothing. Guessing it's now got to be the starter motor or maybe even the flywheel. Any other possibilities?
Ford Monde 2.0 TDCI Estate (2005) - CAR WON'T START AT ALL - MKB

Hi, We've got the same problem, I wondered if you had got this resolved. Cheers Kristina