Test driving cars with no MOT - OneirosGBR

Hi all,
We are looking at buying a car from a car dealer that currently doesn't have an MOT or tax. MOT ran out whilst sitting on the forecourt in October. We are really interested in the vehicle and after a successful test drive there's a 95% chance we'd buy but as I understand it without an MOT this isn't legal. Is this correct? If he were to say that it is ok and we get pulled over would he be liable or us (As the driver)?

The dealer has said that he will put a new MOT on the car after a sale but that isn't really a help, plus any work that would need doing, should it fail, would surely then be down to us after signing the log book.

Personally, I don't know why they wouldn't just test the car as it would surely make it easier to sell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Test driving cars with no MOT - ex-Triumph man

I would have thought, and I may stand corrected, but if you appraise the car with the dealer and the car is fitted with his trade plates then any insurance/roadworthiness etc aspect/liability would be down to the dealer?

Test driving cars with no MOT - bathtub tom

Why hasn't it got a current MOT? Wouldn't it be in the dealers best interests for it to have one, unless of course the dealer knows there's something wrong with it?

I'd be walking away from that one.

Test driving cars with no MOT - Collos25

Many dealer cars have no mot they buy them at auction or are dealer trade ins as cars are normally sold when they reach three or four years old the old mot will be ready to expire or has expired they will not re mot till they sell.You are fully covered by the dealers trade plates in a test drive.

Thanks for the replies.

However, I was under the impression that trade plates only exempted you from tax. I wonder if we were to plead ignorance if he offered a test drive anyway that he would be the one in trouble.

I agree with Tom and think it'd be in the best interest of the dealer to put an MOT on it for the reasonably small outlay of the test, especially seeing as he's just dropped the price by £500 in the last month instead.

The car did have an MOT when he took it in but it's since expired and whilst I know it's by no means an accurate indication if it's mechanically sound, it is immaculate inside and out.

Test driving cars with no MOT - auctioneerjim

ok, trade plates will not cover anyone driving the car without an mot, the only instance when you can drive without an mot is taking to or returning from a pre booked mot appointment the deale will try to avoid spending money on the car prior to it being sold as it may sit there another year ! however, it is illegal to sell or OFFER for sale a car in an unroadworthy condition, so the dealer may be already be breaking the law. but remember, he will have to mot it before you drive it away and as long as you get him to agree IN WRITING that he will put all faults right including advisorys, then don't worry.

So the previous owner traded it in without much of an MOT, could it have failed? It's possible to see its MOT history on-line.

The dealer hasn't bothered to get it tested, perhaps because it would be too expensive to fix what it's previously failed on?

I'd walk!

Test driving cars with no MOT - gfewster

For £20 - £50 (depending on who he knows) he could get it tested and make it 100 times easier to sell.

The fact that he hasn't tells you all you need to know. It will fail, and fail expensively. And he knows it, the sly git.

Run a mile.

Thanks for all the replies. It really doesn't quite add up so I think we're going to avoid.

Thanks again.

Test driving cars with no MOT - Ubermik

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this idea yet, but I did it with a car in a similar situation a few years ago

Agree to the test drive with his plates on the proviso you take it for an MOT test and pay for it.

Admittedly it might show up that you dont really want the car. Although theres also a LOT that can be expensive to fix that wont even be picked up on an MOT

But you sound like you would really like to own this car within reason, so to spend the 20-40 quid on an MOT isnt bad really to have a better idea of whether you want to buy it. Its no different to paying for things like HPI checks or AA inspections after all

If the car is just sitting there anyway and you are prepared to pay for the MOT then the ONLY reason he would object is if he knows theres a serious and expensive or tricky fault to fix like horrendous emmissions etc

If hes being straight with you, but simply tight/business like then he shouldnt have an objection as its you footing the bill for the test

Then if he agrees just pre book the appointment drive there with his trade plates on and youre sorted

When I did it I just arranged a long test drive saying I wanted a garage to give it a once over and left my car and some cash as a security and they were fine with me taking an hour long test drive

Just a thought, and good luck

Thanks, Ubermik.

Actually there's been a development in the last couple of days and the dealer has put the car in for an MOT without any more contact from us. I assume it was because he came to his senses that it would be easier to sell that way.

It has failed, however. Luckily only on minor things, head lamp beams too high, low tread depth on tyres and worn brake pads, which are being sorted. He was also kind enough to provide the certificate number so we could check the history and it's only ever failed on poor wipers with advisories on tyres. Feel pretty confident and hoping to go and see it Saturday.

Test driving cars with no MOT - Ubermik

Glad to hear that

I was intrigued by what you said about the "certificate number" how were you able to check previous MOT reports though? Is it an online feature they've added as I've never heard of that before

Cheers

You can check the MOT history with the registration number, the current MOT (or fail certificate) and V5 reference number:

motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-...p