Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Avant

We hear so many stories of car salespeople who don't seem to want a sale (in fairness, not many from Skoda dealers), so here's a heartening story of a team who did.

My Octavia (April '09) was in for its 20,000 mile service at Jewsons of Oxford, who had supplied it new. While it was there, unbeknown to me, Sam the salesman and Paul the business manager valued it and prepared a PCP quote for a new identical model (vRS diesel manual) for £80 less per month than I'm paying now.

When I came back with the loan car to collect mine, it was a pleasant surprise - eighty pounds a month less. Although I was intending to keep this one for the full three years, it's a no-brainer - they get a sale and I get a new car sometime next year. I'm going for a vRS petrol with DSG this time, much the same price as a diesel manual.

Part of the reason for the good deal is that Skoda have extended their offer to pay the equivalent of the VAT on new cars ordered before 31 December - it used to be 'delivered before 31 December'.

Opportunism - yes, but that's what sales staff are paid for. Nice one, Jewsons.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Dutchie

Nice story Avant,you have got a good deal and the Skoda Dealership have gone up a notch or two reading this story.

The Octavia looks a nice car and well put together.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - ForumNeedsModerating

Yes, excellent bit of pro-active salesmanship, they almost made it 'silly' to say no, by the sounds of it & there's nothing like the 'brand new car' experience. It's also, neatly, mde pretty sure you'll be calling in for servicing/other goods to their dealership for another 3 years - and nothing wrong with that if you're happy with car & dealership. Th only thing vaguely against it, perhaps, is that you'll suffer two lots of '1st year depreciation curve' in 4 years - although offset a bit by saving on monthly payment.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Mike H

There's a bit of deja vu in this post....

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Dave Brand

Have you looked at the overall cost? Monthly repayment is only part of the story!

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Buster Cambelt

Seems to be a common tactic amongst Skoda sales teams, guess the drivers who have cars in for repairs or service are easy meat. Here's the the other side of the coin.

TheYeti was in for yet another repair recently. When I turned up to collect it the salesman told me that he'd been speaking to my Finance Director and he (the FD) had requested a lease quote for a replacement Yeti and as this was less than the current lease he (the FD) wanted me to sort out what colour, etc I'd like. As I was there, why not do it now?

All fine and dandy except....

- the Yeti is neither on lease nor finance

- our FD is most definitely not male, I've been married to her for over 25 years and she'd never spoken to anyone at this dealership

- we don't want another Yeti, we probably don't want another Skoda

The saleman's face when I handed him my business card complete with 'Managing Director' was a picture. I don't think his dealer principal was too happy either.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - turbo11

One of my work colleagues bought his new Octavia scout from Jewsons in 2007. He has just chopped it in for a new 11 reg one.He speaks very highly of Jewsons. I think some other dealerships could learn from their apparent professionalism.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - hillman

A very clever person said - and many others have repeated it - If something seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

Do the maths. Work out what is going to be the true cost.

Skoda Octavia vRS - A salesman who wanted to sell - Avant

Turbo11 - agreed. I'm glad your colleague has had as good an experience as I have.

Hillman - would you care to explain what you mean? In my case the deal is a PCP, of which I've done many before. Under the FSA regulations all the facts have to be made clear, and they were.