Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - lauriee

I have recently bought a Y reg ford KA from a local dealers. I paid for it in cash, and then picked up the documentation. Although I'd had a brief glance through it t the dealer's, upon getting home I had a closer look. I then noticed that at the last MOT (in March) there was an advisory note that "slight corrosion" had been spotted on both sills. Additionally, the advisory note also said that the rear axle suspension arm rubber bushes had deteriorated.

I am especially concerned about the rust, as I understand that the sills are structural members, although both problems could be costly to fix ( I believe around £240 for the corrosion and £160 for the bushes). I believe that the problems should have been pointed out before I had bought the car, as they are not minor faults.

I have spoken to the dealer, who was both rude and unhelpful, saying that I should expect a car to rust. I maintain that the car is potentially unraodworthy, and should not have been sold without highlighting such problems, especially since it is 9 months since the MOT. the price I paid for the car was £1100.

I haven't picked up the car yet, and am uncertain as to how to proceed. Advice from the CAB and Consumer Direct has not clarified things. Do I have any hope of my money back?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by lauriee on 08/12/2010 at 19:18

Ford Ka - Refund for KA with corrosion? - Cymrogwyllt
I'd be very surprsed if I bought a 9 year old car (even 8 year old) with no rust or no wear and tear. iirc advisories mean that the car is roadworthy but keep an eye out for them. If I were you I'd not hold my breath. An MOT is as the car was at the time of the test. No guarantee later on. Personally I'd have insisted on a fresh MOT before purchasing in any case.

If the costs are from a main dealer then a good independant will be much cheaper
Ford Ka - Refund for KA with corrosion? - miata

Bit late now but it always pays to check the car and paperwork thoroughly before completing the transaction.

You need to check the sills yourself but most MOT stations mention something on a test even at three years old.

As stated this is a nine year old car so it will have wear and tear and i would be more suspicious if there were no rust on it.

Ford Ka - Refund for KA with corrosion? - injection doc
An advisory notice is what it says it is, the corrosion could be one paint bubble, I used to advise on anything just to cover my own back if VOSA did a spot check.
A 9 year old KA is unlikley to be corrosion free.
Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - bonzo dog

Hi Lauriee, as others have said it is a 9 year old KA costing £1100, you should expect some wear including rusting. And let's face it, we all would do things differently with the benefit of hindsight (if only I'd phoned Cheryl the day she found out about Ashley!)

As you haven't collected the car yet, I would say to the dealer that he will be aware that under Sale Of Goods Act he will be liable for any failure within 6 months so in order to prevent a minor fault becoming a major one you would like him to have the car independently MOT'd prior to collection. You will pay for the MOT but he needs to pay for any necessary rectification.

If he refuses you have 3 choices:

1. Refuse the car & go legal, but I don't hold up much chance
  2. Take the car & accept it is a 9 year old £1100 car. I guess £1100 is a lot of money to you but you don't get much of a car for it, I'm afraid
  3. Take the car, have it independently MOT'd immediately & should it fail, then reject the car under SOGA / sue for the rectification costs. You should have a case (in my non-expert opinion)

Good luck

Edited by bonzo dog on 09/12/2010 at 09:58

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - Collos25

I would be more suprised if a Y registered Ka did not have rusty sills,these cars were not rust protected when sprayed and as such are deemed a bit of a rust bucket.

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - Dutchie

I agree with all above.You are better off looking for a second Fiat Punto.I had the 1.2 model years ago good engines the fire engine and galvanised bodywork.

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - lauriee

Thanks everyone for your replies! It looks like rust is a known problem with KAs, but something which I only discovered having bought it. I think that the next step will be to get another garage to have a look and say what the extent of the rust is. Btw, the second hand dealer from whom I bought it did offer to have it re-MOTed the other day (when I tackled him about the rust having already bought it) if I paid an extra £400!! very unreasonable.

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - Dutchie

To ask you to pay for another £400 to put the car through its MOT,sounds a bit harsh.The dealer expect this amount to be the damage.

You wont go back to this dealer in the future.The rust might only be supervicial but I am afraid for £1100 thats the way it is.

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - Collos25

You can tack a new pair of sills on the car for next to nothing whats the worry fit them when it needs them.

Have I been ripped off by being sold a KA with corrosion? - auctioneerjim

easy ! book the car in for an mot, pick the car up and take it straight for its test !. the dealer is legally obliged to make sure the car is roadworthy, if it fails an mot then it is not ! then inform trading standards. who will take action against him and hopefully he will not do this to anyone else. he will also wish he had been more helpfull !!!