Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - jax1970

Hello,

I recently asked for advice on replacing my Seat Leon with a smaller used automatic car. I have now narrowed this down the Corsa SE or Fiesta Zetec, but have upped the spec to be a new car.

Has anyone done a comparison of the two? Any thoughts to help me make a decision?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering)

Jackie

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - Avant

Check the Corsa very carefully. Vauxhall may have changed the spec since the 09-registered Corsa that I had as a courtesy car earlier this year - but that one had a truly appalling semi-automatic gearbox which lurched sickeningly every time it changed gear, however gentle you were and even if you took your foot off the accelerator when the gear changed.

Make sure you get an extended test drive of both. The Fiesta is likely to be more fun to drive. If you haven't already, look at the road tests under Reviews on this site.

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - Talking Hoarse

Make sure you get an extended test drive of both. The Fiesta is likely to be more fun to drive. If you haven't already, look at the road tests under Reviews on this site.

I think that might be an understatement - I found the Corsa (at least until 2010 cars) very "dead" and joyless to drive! Suggest you aim for the Corsa 1.4 auto or the Fiesta 1600 auto - as the Corsa 1.2's are easytronic with dubious reputation, and I recall some issue with the Fiesat 1.4 auto (can anyone clarify?).

If buying new then the Vauxhall 10 year warranty might be a big attraction.

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - RicardoB

The new (current) Fiesta automatic comes with the 1.4 engine and a good 4-speed traditional automatic box. The changes up and down are very quiet and smooth.

A member of my family has one - a Zetec model - and I think it's marvellous. It looks good, is a great ride with good handling, very pleasant interior with enough goodies to satisfy most needs.

Oh, and it goes remarkably well too!

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - SteveLee
Fiesta - easily the better car.
Fiesta - easily the better car.

Could I ask in what way it is a better car please? I do not mean to be awkward in asking this, it's just that I don't know much about cars, and it's a lot of money to spend for me.

I felt that the Fiesta was a better drive, but didn't get more than about 10 minutes in it, whereas I had a good 30 minutes in a Corsa.

My brother suggests that the Ford probably would cost less to service, but I wouldn't know where to start finding that out.

Really appreciate your replies!

Jackie

"Could I ask in what way it is a better car please?"

Better in the way some of us have tried to imply above. The Ford dealer who gave you only 10 minutes doesn't want your business enough (or the salesman is one of those idiots who think that only men make buying decisions): try another who will give you longer.

I've never owned a Vauxhall in 40 years: I test-drive them quite often to make sure it isn't just prejudice - but apart from the Mark 2 Cavalier of the early 1980s, none of the ones I've tried have been anything other than pedestrian: lifeless steering, so-so handling and engines that seemed reluctant to get up and go. A Vauxhall is a perfectly good car to get you from A to B, but not the best if you want to enjoy the experience as well as get there.

Modern Fords are designed for drivers who do enjoy the experience of driving - lively engines, sharp steering and a good compromise between ride and handling. I don't have one because I'm lucky enough to be able to buy new, and because there are a lot of Fords around, the drop in value is too steep. They make excellent buys secondhand: if holding value is a priorirty for you, add the VW Polo to your shortlist.

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - Cymrogwyllt

If buying new then the Vauxhall 10 year warranty might be a big attraction.

but be aware of the cost of main dealer servicing for 10 years
Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - 1litregolfeater

So then, GM v Ford.

I wouldn't buy either unless it was second hand and cheap. I'd look east rather than west.

Corsa vs Fiesta (Automatic) - SteveLee

So then, GM v Ford.

I wouldn't buy either unless it was second hand and cheap. I'd look east rather than west.

While I am a fan of Japanese cars, Ford have been very reliable for around 10 years now, given that they are so much fun to drive over most other makes I'd seriously consider just about any Ford as a new car purchase. Vauxhall's warranty may look good, but unfortunately you'll probably need it.
Thanks for all your advice on this thread and my previous one. Last night I bought a 10 plate Fiesta Titanium automatic, and my search is over. I just love the car, and now just need to hope that the weather holds out until Saturday so that I can collect it then. Thanks again for all advice received, it has been so useful.

Jackie

Good choice Jackie, and best of luck with it.