Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - Fleabie36

Hi i was in a collision last night. I was sat at a traffic light junction in the right hand lane and the lights turned green. There was no oncoming traffic so i set off into the middle of the junction and turned right, as i was turned a fiesta impacted my pasenger door and rear passenger side spinning my car. A pedestrian had just crossed where the fiesta came from and informed the police there was no car 3 seconds earlier when he crossed the road. The driver impacted my car with force which leads me to believe he was speeding to get through the lights. Who is to blame in a collision like this? Can anyone help?

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - Dwight Van Driver

Not clear - how can the Fiesta from behind impact your rear near AND OFFside.

Presume you were turning right and the Fiesta at speed approached from the rear and as you turned it hit your rear offside.

Whilst there is an obligation on any person turning right to ensure that it is safe to do so (Highway Code) the pededestrian gives information Fiesta travelling maybe too fast and in any case ran into you.

If I were Plod I would be going for a Section 3 DWDA against Fiesta

Probability that Insurance Co may mark up 85%(Fiesta)/15% you.

dvd

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - Dwight Van Driver

Not clear - how can the Fiesta from behind impact your rear near AND OFFside.

Presume you were turning right and the Fiesta at speed approached from the rear and as you turned it hit your rear offside.

Whilst there is an obligation on any person turning right to ensure that it is safe to do so (Highway Code) the pededestrian gives information Fiesta travelling maybe too fast and in any case ran into you.

If I were Plod I would be going for a Section 3 DWDA against Fiesta

Probability that Insurance Co may mark up 85%(Fiesta)/15% you.

dvd

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - bathtub tom

>>a fiesta impacted my pasenger door and rear passenger side

DVD. That implies it t-boned the passenger side.

Hi dvd

No the fiesta didn't hit me from behined it was coming through the lights towards me, but it was not there when the lights were on red or when the lights turned green and still wasn't there when i had moved out into the road and took my manouvre right.

As i turned right and my car was vertical with the road i was going to drive down the fiesta hit my passenger sides and spun my car round so i was sat in the lane of traffic that was coming up the road of where i wanted to drive down.

Hope this explains better. please let me know. thanks

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - Dutchie

You need a witness,your saying the Fiesta ran a red and hit you on the passenger side whilst you where going right lights on green.

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - bathtub tom

This now seems like the OP was turning right at a crossroads and turned across the front of a vehicle that was approaching from the opposite direction?

Thats how I read it Bathtub tom.

i was turning right at the crossroads, but there was no car coming towards me at the time of me setting off when the lights turned green, the pedestrian who crossed the road said there was no car there either so he walked across the road as it was safe but then out of nowhere the fiesta hit me and so called t-boned me as i had nearly finished my manouvre. The pedestrian said it must have come at speed through the lights which were still on green and that it was not there 3 seconds earlier when he had crossed the road. I still beleive it wasn't my fault at all as the road was clear and i couldn't see any car lights further down the road coming towards me. My car is a right off and the fiesta just lost it's bumper and headlight. suppose i'll just have to hope that the insurance company get the pedestrians statement.

Is it possible for the Fiesta to approach the lights at 70 -80 mph which is implied.?

Regret it would seem it was there when right turn made and it has not registered with driver.

Now change Fiesta( 15%) other 85% blame

dvd

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - LucyBC
A case like this will often go split liability even if you could show evidence of speeding. It depends how the lights are set up - particularly if there is an arrow. If no arrow and they were on green then you turned across their path and everything depends on the witness. Do you have their details? What were the injuries to either party (if any)?

Edited by LucyBC on 06/12/2010 at 08:34

There was no arrow it's just green traffic light, when the lights turned from red to green the pedestrian looked both ways at the crossroads where the fiesta came from, saw no car lights and proceded to cross the road. At the same time i drove out to take my right hand turn manouvre as there was still no oncoming car.

When i had my vehicle parallel with the road i wanted to drive down, thats when the fiesta hit me with full force. There were passengers in the fiesta(parents ofthe driver) they didn't say a word the whole time stood with police or even asked me as a 17 year old female driver if i was ok. It was all seemed a bit dodgy, he was either driving with no lights on down the street or drving at excessive speed to get through the lights as they don't stay on green for long.

Damage to the fiesta was broken head light and the bumper had fallen off. The police took the pedestrians details, so i am going to ensure the insurance people get his statement. He said he saw everything and that it was no way my fault, he even told the police the same.

Hello speacock 36.

The other driver might have done everything you have said .The problem is proving it and this witness might be some help to you.At least none of you in this accident got hurt and the damage is done to the cars.I hope you are ok and take care.

thanks Dutchie, your right about not being seriously hurt, just been to the garage where my car is waiting for the assesor to complete survey, guy at garage asked if i was in it and said it had been a heavy impact, he reckons it's a right off, i knew myself, walking everywhere now its hard work with a 5 year old but life goes on. In the hands of insurers now.

THANKS TO ALL FOR COMMENTS

Just been phoned by my insurance, very arrogant person asked me to clarify my details and was not helpful at all.

Apparently i have to take the blame for the accident even though there is an independant witness who saw it all and stated to the police and myself that it was not my fault, but according to the insurance because the driver was speeding that is not a good enough excuse to pursue liability to the other driver or even request information form an eyewitness.

What is the point in paying insurance when you don't receive enough money to purchase the same age vehilce you had, you have a witness who they won't proceed to get a statement from. Where is the sense in it all??????

No wonder people drive illegally, it's not worth the hassle paying for it.

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - LucyBC

Their allegation will be that you turned across their path when they had right of way. If you can show the other vehicle was speeding then it could go split liability but a few mph over the limit won't make much difference. Your witness can only express an opinion as to the speed of the driver. On the value - if you were comprehensively insured you should get the full value sufficient to buy an equivalent replacement - but less your policy excess

Edited by LucyBC on 10/12/2010 at 13:30

Vauxhall Corsa B - turn right at traffic lights side on impact - Gordon17
It seems strange that the damage to the Fiesta is so slight if, as you claim, it was going so fast that it wasn't in sight when you started your right turn.