Citroen Dispatch - CITROEN DISPATCH VAN, TOWING RESTRICTIONS - Adie B

I am negotiating to buy a 2002 (52) reg, Citroen Dispatch 1.9 Diesel, Non Turbo van. The van has done 80,000 miles, i have known the vans owner since it was new and it has never done a hard days work in its life. It has full service history, had its cambelt changed, plus a new clutch fitted. Has one years MOT and is taxed until March 2011. I need to know if i can use this van to tow, LEGALLY, a 4 wheel car trailer loaded with a medium sized car eg, Peugeot 206. Maybe i am wrong but, do you add the trailer weight and the car on the trailer together. Then that weight must not exceed the total weight of the towing vehicle. Is this correct please. Also do you think the 1.9 diesel is powerful enough to tow a loaded car trailer. Plus could you also give me an approximate valuation on the van please. Many thanks.

Edited by Adie B on 03/12/2010 at 09:38

Citroen Dispatch - CITROEN DISPATCH VAN, TOWING RESTRICTIONS - injection doc
I seem to remeber the kerb weight around 1600 K but you need to check with the handbook for kerb weight.
basically if what ever the kerb weight on a 2wd vehicle is you can tow to the maximum off if the trailer is braked.
So for example if its 1600 k then if the trailer weigh no more than 1600 k loaded its legal, But from experince towing near the limit espacially if the van is unladen can be hairy as a 4 wheel trailer will tend to push the back of the van so if you braked whilst on a bend the weight of the trailer will lift the van and jack knife it !
the non turbo 1,9 is no rocket ship and very slow at towing even light weight, I used to have a berlingo 1.9 and it was thirsty and slow and didn't like much more than 8-900kg on the back at the most.
Citroen Dispatch - CITROEN DISPATCH VAN, TOWING RESTRICTIONS - Collos25

Bosal in the reference section give a total towing weight braked of 1800kg.