Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - andy from embsay
Hi - looking to get one of these in a 4wd diesel for mrs andy, and had originally thought we'd get the 4 model as it's amazingly well specced for the price. Well it now seems availability isn't quite as easy as we'd thought and there's a price rise in the offing, plus if we don't get one before xmas we may get caught by the VAT rise.

So i've been looking into the differences between the 3 and the 4 spec, which seems to come down to sat nav (not bothered - we have a tomtom for the few occasions she actually goes anywhere she's not been before), leather (nice, but she's not had it before and we're not bothered), reversing camera (useful safety feature but the 3 has beepers) - so the only other difference is "iPod control".

Now the 3 has a USB socket, so presumably you can plug in an iPod and play it through the stereo, but I was wondering what control you get - I assume you can't use menus etc but with the brilliance that is the Genius Playlist she could choose a playlist at the start of the journey and as long as she can adjust volume and ideally skip tracks then that'd probably be fine.

Has anyone got one of these or know what functionality you have on the non-sat nav versions?

Thanks awfully!
Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - beefyj

Is easier to get a 3 than a 4?

Not sure - but i was working on the premise that if we give the dealer more options we might be able to find one quicker.
Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - beefyj

I'm still toying with ideas on small 4x4s and broadspeed told me last week that they couldn't get hold of an ASX til Feb, didn't even mention which model, that's despite them claiming quick delivery from their front page.

Good luck!

A dealer in Chesterfield told me they could get the asx-4 4wd in red, black or blue this side of xmas - but mrs a is set on silver. They also have a few sportage 4wd in stock as well. I've also been told feb by a broker, but two dealers have said they can get asx's in jan - but as the broker said they could just be looking to "take me out of the market".
Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - AnotherWaiting

I think your suspicion is correct there. I looked at an ASX 4 in the first week of November and when I grilled the dealer about 'not stringing me along' and being brutally honest he told me it would be February. Bear in mind that was a month ago now!

Still not really any nearer understanding this ipod thing! I've actually found an asx 3 4wd in the right colour available now, but the dealer's not really able to confirm what control you have of the ipod on the non-sat nav version.
Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - Markoose

I own an ASX 3 in black, I've had it since September and it's excellent.

I have used my iPod Touch with it by plugging it into the USB socket located in the arm rest storage bin. Once it's plugged in you cycle through the input modes (radio, cd, bluetooth, usb etc.) and it shows that an ipod is connected. You then use the knob on the right side of the console to navigate through a menu that lets you browse via playlist, artist, album, song etc. The system feels a bit limited because of the single short line of text that can be displayed but it's good enough.

I prefer to use the bluetooth option with my phone, once you've paired the device with the voice command system you just select music on the phone as normal and it plays through the speakers.

My local dealer in Hillingdon, SMC Mitsubishi, has about three ASX's on display, I expect they're ASX 3's but don't know what engine/drive layout they have.

I didn't go for 4WD as I would never need it.

The last thing is the debate about ASX 3 vs ASX 4, I pretty much felt the same way as you. The only item that tempted me was the leather but I think the cloth design is so cool that I prefer it, it looks like it was designed by Nike and it's warmer in winter and cooler in summer!

Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - Alimacski

I bought an ASX 3 in October and am very pleased with it . Couple of gripes, my 6 year old early generation Ipod did not work in the USB connection, however my friends later generation did. The other issue is the that mpg display for average mileage does seem rather optimistic. I can quite easily obtain 55mpg or even up to 60mpg on the display with careful driving , but when I calculate a real mpg ( full tank to empty then refill and work out mille/gallon) it closer to mid 40s-48 . I would be intersested to hear form anyone else with a non 4 wheel drive diesel to see what can be "eked out" ..... after all Mitsubishi brag near 59mpg for extra urban.

.On the positive .when Im not in scrooge mode I do enjoy the the power and acceleration. ..also the tractin control worked well in the recent bad weather.

Mitsibishi asx - Mitsubishi asx - 3 or 4? - rayleck

Have just been on the Mistubishi ASX website and noticed a whopping price increase as well as the VAT rise ie the 1.6 petrol ASX3 has gone up by £1050-00 !.

Aprox £300-00 of that will be the VAT rise but in total thats aprox a 5.5% rise in one foul swoop.