2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Estate - Computer Calibration - EChen

The car trip computer overstates the mpg. Is it possible to adjust the calibration to get it more accurate? I have calculated mpg for each full tank and the computer is consistently over the actual consumption figure so I wonder if the figures it shows for mileage on remaining fuel might be dubious too.

Anyone got any ideas?

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Estate - Computer Calibration - likerocks

on the very edge of my memory I remember reading an article on a Honda Civic forum about how to fit a widget in the instrument wiring between the gearbox speed sensor and the odometer. Its purpose was to cancel out (say) one in 10 impulses and provide a lower speed reading. It was adjustable.

I think most car odometers function on the same principle (i.e. counting impulses from a rotatonal sensor in the transmission) and in your case this data is also used by the fuel computer.

Nearly all car speedos / odometers over-read by about 10% to stay the right side of the law whilst compensating for new / worn tyres. It seemed very involved to change this as previously mentioned. I'd say either live with it and apply a correction factor in your head, or maybe consider slightly taller profile tyres which will essentially raise the gearing of the car slightly and bring actual speed closer to displayed speed. There are obviously lots of potential pitfalls to this such as performance, insurance, wheelarch clearance etc, but I've heard of it being done.

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Estate - Computer Calibration - prdillingham

The mpg will be overstated as explained above, as is the mileage and road speed, which you'll probably notice if you have a satnav with a speed readout. It is possible to change the programmed size of the wheels/tyres if you have access to a Ford IDS diagnostic system. Dropping the wheel diameter / tyre size down from 195/55 R15 to 165/55 R14, say, on the ECU should fix it and make the mileage, mpg and speedo more accuate.

2007 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Estate - Computer Calibration - MikeTorque

>> I wonder if the figures it shows for mileage on remaining fuel might be dubious too.

I've used brim to brim fill-ups and even when the computer showed "miles to empty" as 0 I was able to add a max of 50 litres, implying 3 litres still remaining. Having said that I've also noticed there are slight variations between one Focus TDCi and another TDCi.

Safest thing to do is a double check. Check the fuel gauge, if it shows 0 or E and the "miles to empty" is close to 0 then fill with fuel asap, ideally fill well before.