peugeot 306 hdi - short circuit - paul 39

hi i'm having problems with my 306 something shorted out and melted a brown wire in the passenger footwell i called the aa who turned up and cut the wire (oh so helpful ) since then ive had no heater if i reconnect the wire the fuse for the front elec windows blows i have tried to trace the short but due to my haynes manual not having the correct wiring diagram or layout of the loom i am unable to find the heater resistor pack would anyone have any idea where i might find the resistor pack? also the car has developed an intermittent starting problem due im sure to the short circuit it can also cut out whilst driving if i give the loom a wiggle where the melted cable was cut the car will start.

any advice regarding this problem would be gratefully accepted

paul

peugeot 306 hdi - short circuit - track

Are you refering to the heater resistoer to control fan speeds inside the car? If so its built into the fan itself, good chance water has got into the fan unikt and caused your issue. Often happens this time of year as fallen leaves get under the scuttle panel, block the drains and then rain water builds up and gets into the hater intake. Try unplugging the wires to the base of the heater motor ( underneath / behind the glovebox) from the passenger footwell and see if this helps other problems when you rejoin the brown wire.

I suspect as its causing issues with both electric windows and heater motor the rain has possibly hit the relays or wiring to the relays in the dashboard. Relay 1 is for your windows and relay 2 is for the heater motor. They then run through seperate fuses. Pain in the backside to do but set aside a good few hours and remove the heater motor and bench test it with a battery. Also then remove the fuseboard and the relay box, dry out if required and clean all contacts up with a good electrical cleaner. Thenremove the scuttle panel and make sure all drains are clear, if it has a sunroof there will be drains running down the pilllars whcih can also cause issues.

peugeot 306 hdi - short circuit - paul 39

hi i've managed to "hotwire" the heater by finding a spare fuse and running a cable straight to the heater motor now all heater and air con works fine with the burnt out wire still cut lovely to have heat again but the starting problem still persists i did check both sides of the scuttle and the drivers side one was blocked with leaves so the main wiring connector was sat in about 2 inches of water i have taken it apart and checked and cleaned it all seems fine no burnt looking bits but she still decides not to start sometimes, i thought maybe it was the stop solenoid so i slackened off the diesel feed to the rail and turned her over and only a small amount of diesel pushed out could this be my problem? if so how do i remove the solenoid as its not the one described in the manual i tried taking out the bit that the wires go into (small casing with a pin that goes into the pump) and turned it over but didnt get any diesel to pump out so im not really sure if this actually is the solenoid or not or if my problem is still with the wiring and not the solenoid as most of the fuel pump connections are electrical not mechanical ( no throttle cables to the pump directally only wires from the throttle assembly to the pump) any ideas on what to check next and how to do it would be very much appreciated

paul