Buying/selling a car privately in winter - Trilogy

I've always found fewer cars for sale privately in winter, particularly in December. Adtrader and Autotrader are always much thinner this time of year. The weather is usually cold and it gets dark early, so not a good idea to view in the evening nor particularly pleasant at weekends. I've been having a discussion with friends who believe December is the best time to buy and sell.

I'd like to find out what others think about this.

Buying/selling a car privately in winter - gordonbennet
From a sellers point of view, fewer buyers but those who come out in the cold and wet are likely to be serious and not timewasters.

From a buyers side, hopefully the seller will be more realistic as to the value of the vehicle and open to sensible discussion.

Buying/selling a car privately in winter - captain chaos

A good time of year to buy convertibles and targa tops as any leaks will be more apparant. Damp carpets especially.

Buying/selling a car privately in winter - SteveLee
Money is tight around Christmas, I nearly always buy cars around this period - the best bargains can be had from dealers and private sellers alike. As the above poster said, convertibles are particularly good value at Christmas and it's easy to spot leaky ones!
Buying/selling a car privately in winter - 1066

Ive just bought my Dad an MX5 for christmas. its a 2003 1.8sport with low miles and full mazda history and paid 2750 for it and in the summer these were sellinf for nearer 4000.

there seems a lot of very cheap bigger cars around now