Volvo 850 - eric's son
Dear all

After a brief and unpleasant period of ownership, I am selling my Mercedes A160 back to the supplying dealership. I plan to replace it with something a lot cheaper that I will be able to keep for a long time. I also want an automatic, & mpg isn't an issue as I only do about 6k a year.

Much research seems to point to a 1995/96 Volvo 850, as I fancy an estate from a long-term practicality point of view. I did consider a 1998 Passat & the Volvo V40, but the scary reliability stories put me off.

Can anyone offer advice as to the wisdom of such a purchase? Nice 850's of that age seem to go for between £4,000 at non-main dealers, and £7,000 at main dealers.
Many thanks in advance.
Volvo 850 - volvod5_dude

Steer clear of the 2.0ltr ones, they are under powered. If mpg isn't a problem go for a T5 version, they really do go well. Also make sure it has a full service history. If you buy from a Volvo main dealer I beleive the warranty is second to none.
Volvo 850 - Slender
Within the last fortnight I have bought a 1998 Volvo V70XC. It has the 2.5 20V light pressure turbo engine and all wheel drive. Fuel consumption is 18-20mpg on my 8 mile across B`ham commute, 25-27 mpg when plodding on A and B roads and over 30 mpg on the motorway. Performance is excellent for such a heavy car. The car was delivered to Solihull by the supplying dealer in Cambridge and prepared to a good standard. I would strongly recommend buying through the Volvo Approved Scheme as fault rectification will be expensive. A couple of minor faults require rectifying already and I was most impressed when the dealer I bought it from in Cambridge contacted my local dealer in Solihull after I had booked it in to ensure any bill, if not covered under the warranty, was forwarded to them. If you value good service and peace of mind this would be the way to go. Good luck with your search. The Volvo online vehicle locator is well worth using. This post may sound like I work for Volvo but I assure you I do not.