Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - over30

I purchased around 5 weeks ago a 2004 silver Mondeo Zetec 2.0TDCi 130, with the 6 speed box, 62k on the clock and full service history. The car is a dream to drive, and I am getting great fuel economy from it.

Since I purchased the car I have changed the oil and oil filter, changed the air filter, and done all underbonnet checks to make sure its ready for winter such as greasing the battery terminals, checking all wiring is secure etc..

However I felt put off a bit when I read some of the comments on this site stating that the TDCi engine is totally unreliable, I now feel that I have made a mistake buying the car.

Is the reliability of this engine really that bad?

Edited by over30 on 13/11/2010 at 19:57

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - daveyjp
They are very reliable if treated properly, think how many millions of cars and vans have this engine fitted - Focus, Mondeo, C max, Transit Connect, Transit.

The only item you may want to check is the EGR valve and pipework serving it. It may be worth taking off and cleaning or if you can't be bothered and want to treat the car buy a new one.

Starter motor failure is also well documented - usually when the DMF is failing so that means new DMF and clutch - the starter can be cleaned.
Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - 1066

Ive had this engine in a cmax and a mondeo and done over 150,000 miles and no problems. there arent any inherrent defects with the engine but as so many have been sold you are bound to here more problems with these 2.0tdci than others i think

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - over30

Thanks for your replies guys, appreciate it.

I will have a look at the EGR valve,

this is my first diesel, my last car was a MK1 focus Ghia 2.0i petrol.

This Mondeo is much better, it has better acceleration, better fuel economy and is much cheaper on road tax:

Focus 2.0 petrol - £245 per year

Mondeo 2.0 TDCi - £155 per year

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - injection doc

I have done intergalactic milage with TDCi's and Jaguar 2,0d's and never experinecd any issues whatsoever and have nothing but praise for an econoimcal and gusty engine.

I belive but many (will argue) that avoiding certain fuels helps. the handbook advises one fuel manufacture and I stuck to it and kept every reciept incase fuel contamination was to blame but never needed .

Great beliver respect a diesel and it will respect you

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - dodo

Actually they are not the same engine - the Mondeo's is a Ford sourced unit while the C-Max uses/d the PSA unit shared with Citroen, Peugeot, Volvo etc. It produces about 10 more bhp in this guise and if my experience with a C-Max and a V50 are anything to go by don't really perform until about 20,000 miles.

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - Dutchie

Wise words Injection Doc.

I have never had any problems with diesel engines or petrol maybe luck, always take care of maintenance fuel and read the handbook.The Focus diesel I have now is nice to drive and a excelent engine the 1.6 TDCI.

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - injection doc

Thank you dutchie.

My wife has a 1.6TDCi Fiesta Z-tech now 3 years old and the engine is just Fab, its so quiet and in the fiesta its so tourqey it could really do with a sixth and 7th gear as I'm sure it would manage another two! fantastically economical and fun to drive as its so willing and revey and oh boy its great overtaking.

I have just gone against my own advice and put 1 tank of asda fuel in it because our BP had run out but oh boy its really lost its edge so its going to be a long 3 weeks now to burn it off, I can put money on it the MPG will drop.

The car has only had a fan relay fail in 3 years and otherwise perfect and this one is so nice she won't change it this time.

Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 6 Speed - Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Reliability - keith72

hi there,

i purchased 2005 model same spec 8 weeks ago and its by far the best ford that i have had,i recently owned a 2ltr deisel vectra for over 3 years and i wished that i knew about this car as its far superior.

i cannot say anything bad about this.my cousin has had his for over 5 years now and he recomends it.

think its everybodys own preference.