Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - PaulR.
I have a Nissan X Trail, 56 reg. 2.2 Dci Aventura running on 215/60R17 96H Dunlop ST20 Grandtreks on alloys.

I am considering buying a set of winter tyres with steel rims to use for the winter period.

If you could help with the following I would be grateful.

1) Would you be able to recomend a suitable tyre.
2) Will a winter tyre be noisier than standard due to the block pattern.
3) I assume that a winter tyre would be of great benefit in both wet and snow conditions.
4) What would be the correct way to store my existing tyres/alloy wheels.

I have noted your suggestions for suppliers of winter tyres in November 6th paper.

Thank you for your help.

Paul Rogers.
Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - gordonbennet

1...Vredestein Wintracs (superb tyre), Nokian all models, and other proper makes eg Goodyear Mich etc, maybe better to avoid some of the far eastern stuff.

2...I have winter tyres on Hilux and car, in both cases (Vred Wintracs on Hilux, Nokians NRG2 on car) the ride quality is improved and noise is either less or same.

3...They come into their own when the temp drops and the road is wet, grip levels are quite amazing, obviously in ice and snow they excel.

4...I thoroughly clean the set not in use and leave them stacked fully inflated in my garage, dark and cool is best.

In both cases i run a spare set of alloy wheels, you might find a set kicking about on ebay.

I have bought from Camskills and Mytyres with no problems, though Camskills showing the tyres on their website doesn't mean they have them available in any useful timeframe.

You must encounter some serious weather to consider winters on a full time 4x4 like the Xtrail, they were needed on the pick up for cold wet weather handling being selectable 4WD but RWD normally with a fairly light back end, but if i owned a car like yours i doubt i'd need them.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - Ethan Edwards

er Excuse me.

Couple of points.

PaulR - the GrandTreks ARE M&S (Mud & SNOW) tyres. VERY capable in winter I should know as I drove 75m a day, every day, all last winter on them. In up to 6 inches of snow at times with zero issues.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Grandtrek+ST20

GordonBennet - The Xt has three modes. Switchable. 2WD , AUTO 4WD and Lock 4WD where the centre diff is locked. As you say it's a very capable vehicle.

Cheers,

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - Dave N

M+S doesn't mean they're any good as winter tyres. Anyone can put M+S on their tyre - there's no minimum grip standard, testing, or anything required. The SP20 doesn't appear on the Scandinavian Tyre and Rim associations list of approved winter tyres, and isn't marked with the snowflake.

Take a look at the BF Goodrich MT tyres, also M+S marked, and compare to the SP20 and see how different they are. That's how much use the M+S mark is.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - Collos25

I am sorry but you are not quite correct the "S" of m&S stands for snow and all new M&S tyres must have a large snow flake on the tyre wall ,if they do not they are either old tyres or cheap illegal imports. The likes of Good Year Vector all season M&S are as good if not better than most dedicated winter tyres - the year and month of manufacturer is clearly marked on the side wall.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - Dave N

M+S and the snowflake are two different things. Tyres with the snowflake usually also have M+S, but many tyres are marked M+S but have no snowflake because they aren't winter tyres. I know that S stands for snow. And M stands for mud, so not sure what that's got to do with winter tyres. Try driving with BFG MT (mud terrains) on winter roads and you'll see what I mean. They will be quite good on deep fresh snow, but not on average winter roads that are usually hard packed snow or ice. They don't display the snowflake. Neither do Cooper STT - also M+S, or Goodyear wrangler MT.

The swedish traffic office warn of this. "OBS! Det förekommer däck som är märkta med M och S utan att vara särskilt framtagna för vinterkörning, exempelvis grovmönstrade terrängdäck" Translation - There are tyres labelled with M and S without being specifically designed for winter driving, for example rough textured terrain tyres.

The "s" stands for snow we normally get that in winter it does not stand for anything else,new tyres with M&S have to have the snowflake emblem and are now classed as all season tyres we do not live in Sweden but in the EU.Why would I want to drive in winter on MT tyres when they are not designed for winter or any other tyre not designed for the purpose they were made.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - bathtub tom

M & S on a tyre's like heavy duty on a battery, it don't mean a thing.

I've got a couple of identical tyres on one of my motors, bought at the same time. One's marked M&S, the other ain't. Are they different compounds?

Please read what has been said M&S must NOW have a snowflake emblem and be able to be driven in the snow that is what the "S" stands for.Old tyres with M&S do not have this, a new regulation in 2010 makes this compulsory on new tyres with the M&S logo you will find all new season tyres have the M&S logo and a snowflake emblem.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - Ethan Edwards

Well told you. Again this morning a faultless performance on the run into work.

I drove up hills past stuck cars floundering around on summer tyres in my old X-Trail. Three inches of snow on ungritted roads -no problems.

Dunlop GrandTrek ST20's - Mud n Snow tyre - original equipment on the X-Trail and worth every penny. Only if you actually want to get there that is.

Nissan X Trail - 56 Reg DCI - Winter tyres - xtrailman

Couldn't agree more.

I have been driving on these tyres, all be it on different sizes, with two xtrails since 2004.

And have never had a issue.

Every report written has always praised the xtrails off road ability, especially in snow.

Also i never take it out of auto select drive.