Volkswagen Golf IV Tdi - Battery Drain - drumspell

Hi All,

My 2nd hand car came with a few problems that are draining the battery. If i dont start the car in 2 or 3 days the battery will go flat. And nobody knows where the problem really comes from!

The battery warning light appears in the dashboard and stays a while when started. This makes me think that the alternator is faulty and the car is using the battery power in a wrong way. Also the fact that sometimes when I open the car the hazzards lights turn on even when the switch is off. When I put in ignition the hazzard switch starts making the noise randomly and constantly as if it was switched on. The Oil sensor workshop warning light comes as well and then goes away.

At Volkswagen they came after expensive diagnose checks to tell me the following issues:

-Starter Motor lock up and smoking. FIXED.

-Positive Lead from battery to startermotor over heated and fraying.Earth lead from battery to gearbox corroded. new wiring required. FIXED

After this repairs, the car was still draining power of the battery so took it back to VW for another check with these results:

-Defective Oil level sensor. Needs Replace??

-Indicator Stalk Faulty, needs replacement. ??

-Battery wiring requires checking. It's New!!

Extra info: The drivers door window motor just works for the drivers door. It doesnt controls the rest of the windows as well as the door lock. It also opens the window with the car switched off. So there's a possible bypass in the window motor. Could this be draining power? I dont think so.

I'm wondering if this is clearly an Alternator problem and VW couldn't see it on the checks.

Could somebody give me any advice please? And tell me a cheap garage around NW London where I could take the car for repair? I'm not taking it anymore to a VW garage. (useless and deer).

Thanks a million!

Volkswagen Golf IV Tdi - Battery Drain - elekie&a/c doctor

I would suggest you need the services of a good electrical tech who can pinpoint the cause of the drain with more accuracy then the Vw guesswork.I have used these people and found them very helpfull.

http://carsolutionswelwyn.co.uk/.

Volkswagen Golf IV Tdi - Battery Drain - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, you should have 14 volts or a little more, much less and your alternator is faulty.

Thanks for that information. Definetly will put more confidence on them.

Cheers!

And thanks Peter for your advice as well!

I hope I get to the end of this!

Volkswagen Golf IV Tdi - Battery Drain - sony86

hi there

could u tell me u how u sorted ur battery proble ,i got same ,

when i dont start my car for 2-3 days ,battery goes dead or use much eletronics,,,,i changed 3 battries in 4 monts,

thanks