VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - Judesman

I have just had four new tyres put on my Golf Estate. I notice that three wheels have new lead weights where they have been balanced but the offside rear does not have any weight at all. Does this mean that the garage has forgotten to balance the wheel or is it possible that it did not need balancing? Any advice would be appreciated before I start asking the garage silly questions!!

VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - tdc

Pop your head under the car and look at the other rim face,perhaps it needed the balance weight on there rather than the usual....or maybe it was perfectly within limits and therefore didn`t require a balance weight.

Are you experiencing any vibrations through the steering wheel or car body at any particular speed?

The best form of balancing for wheels which keeps them in balance during entire life of tyre is the bead type.Weight of beads required varies with tyre size and is fitted inside tyre during fitment.Can be used on cars,lorries,bikes etc.Currently available from Canada...unless it`s reached these shores yet??

Many thanks for that - much appreciated. I had a look under the car and there is a weight on the inside rim. And there I was having evil thoughts about the garage!

VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - Roly93

It is possible that the tyre was already well in balance if its a quality tyre, however I would be surprised if there was no weight on the inside or outside of the tyre myself.

Tyres usually have a red or blue dot on them which denotes the heaviest part of the tyre. This dot should ideally be aaaaat 180 degrees to the valve, but fitters rarely comply with this in pracice.

Thanks for the input Roly93. All the wheels have weights either on the inside or outside rim so I must assume that the garage has done a proper job. The tyres are Dunlop Fast Response and I wondered what the white dots meant although none are in line with the valve. Thanks.

VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - piston power

Back in the day when i worked for kwik fit the fronts wheels were balanced properly and the back ones the weights were just knocked on the rims!

This was only done in very busy periods and some days was very busy so be warned yours may be correct then again....................................

Interesting. This was all carried out by my VW main agent garage that I have used for years and I am not sure how I would know if a rear wheel was out of balance until it was obvious that there was uneven wear.

It did not occur to me that the garage might not have done the job properly until I discovered that the requested track and camber test on all four wheels had not be completed on the back wheels.(The old NSR tyre was feathered and the mechanic suggested a camber test). When I collected the car another mechanic told me that they hadn't done the camber test on the back wheels because they couldn't be adjusted anyway. I insisted that the camber test was done on all four wheels (I had paid for it anyway). They discovered that the NSR camber was minus 1 degree 45 minutes against a target of minus 1 degree 27 minutes with a tolerance of + or - 10 minutes. I am told that I could have a new rear axle fitted but the discrepancy is not worth worrying about.

Now I have really gone off topic but it explains why I thought thae garage might be cutting corners.

Thanks for the input.

VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - Collos25

Good rule of thumb if you can feel a vibration through your backside then its the rear of the car if you feel it through your hands its the front.

Thanks Andy, when the tyres have run in a bit I will put my foot down and see what happens.

VW Golf Estate - Wheel Balancing - Roly93

Back in the day when i worked for kwik fit the fronts wheels were balanced properly and the back ones the weights were just knocked on the rims!

Yep that sounds like KF !