Volkswagen Phaeton - Dan J
I saw a German plate VW Phaeton yesterday on the clockwise M60 close to Manchester.

Absolutely hideous car by UK standards. Looks like a cross between a VW Passat and Pug 607. Compared to the beautiful new S class and imposing 7 series, it looks throughly cheap and nasty. The kind of thing you'd expect to pay $25k for in the US as far as external looks go.

Who in their right mind would buy this car in the UK? I can't see any of our company directors relieving themselves of their 7 series and S classes and buying one.

And given the price, let me see - I could go to the plush Audi garage and be fawned over whilst I choose how many options I want on my Audi A8 which will command serious car park respect, or I could go to the VW garage next door...

Coupled with the appalling attitude and shonky VW dealerships (at least especially round my way in Cheshire), VW have got to be taking the p......

What does everyone else think?
Volkswagen Phaeton - CM
Who in their right mind would buy this car in the
UK? I can't see any of our company directors relieving
themselves of their 7 series and S classes and buying one.

I was led to believe that sales were not really the main point of this car. I also believe that the sale price is less than the manufacturing cost.

It is more of an attempt to show the world that VW can make luxury cars and to generally drag the brand up in the perceived quality stakes (to BM and MB levels).

maybe I'm wrong.
Volkswagen Phaeton - blank
I think that would have been exactly what folk said about Audi 10 years ago. Who would buy an A8 when you caould have an S-class or 7 series.
Volkswagen Phaeton - EG

The Phaeton is absolutely pointless. While Andy is right about the A8 , I just don't follow what VAG are doing.

With Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi they seem to offer very similar cars with a choice of badges and prices. OK they share so many parts and design resouces etc. making them more cost effective, but sooner or later they should rationalise all these brands as the differences are being blurred.

Skodas are improving so much that they will soon be as good as an Audi for less cash. For example the Octavia is not too bad overall but fairly tinny inside, whereas the new Superb is just like an Audi inside and is far better than an Octavia.

So as the lower VAG brands improve in quality, lets see if the good ones do the opposite - I'm looking forward to a Lamborghini or Bentley Favorit!
Volkswagen Phaeton - Monaro
I must say that I think that the Phaeton is a great looking car and that W12 engine (I know not all models come with it) seems to be superb. Didn't Clarkson get 200mph out of it? It is always nice to see a firm trying to do things a little differently. I for one would love to have one especially as the 7 series is ugly but imposing, the S-Class from the reports isn't hewn from granite any more and Audi have ruined the new A8's looks, even though it is a better car all round, or so the reports suggest. The original A8 with the new A8's mechanicals would be perfect. Ronin really made an impact on me when I saw it. As for ugly cars/SUVs, step forward Porsche.

Paul C
Volkswagen Phaeton - Monaro
And that engine with two turbos in the Bentley will be the biz.

Paul C
Volkswagen Phaeton - Ben79
I saw the Phaeton at the motorshow, the dash looks a bit plasticey. The texture looks cheaper than my Citroen Xsara (I may be biased).

I quite like the 607, but doubt I would buy one even if I could afford it.

I hate the looks of the BMW 7 series. What is it meant to be? In your face?

I have begun to read a lot about bad VW dealers on here, saying that, my Citroen garage got front and rear bumpers confused, although they did give me the freshly painted rubbing strip for the front just in case I ever needed it.

Ben
Volkswagen Phaeton - madf
VW are just about to learn Ford's lesson. If you make your reputation selling mass market cars, selling an up market one under the same brand name confuses the punters. Hnenc eFord buying Jaguar (not it's done them any good financially)

I'm no marketing person but it's called diluting the brand or summat. Why bother when they have the Audi name?

(and a huge engine for a Passat as well. Bunch of muppets. Can you think of anyone buying a Passat for BMW/Mercedes/Audi money or more and not seeing HUGE depreciation! )
madf
Volkswagen Phaeton - Baskerville
You're right. It's one of the pitfalls with price differentiation, the process in which you sell the same product at different prices (often with different packaging as here) to maximise the number of punters. On the other hand, many customers loyal to the VW brand wouldn't think of buying an AUDI, so adding a top level catches their money rather than having them drift off to BMW or MB.